Saturday's scene: Waiting for Spring in Solvang

2009/05/09by Donna Hull

Gainey Winery Solvang

As fires rage in Santa Barbara, California this Saturday, I’m reminded of a photo I took not too far from there in the Santa Ynez Valley. On an early March day, Gainey Winery looks as if it’s waiting for spring to come. Good luck to the fire victims.

Jennifer Margulis May 9, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I’ve been thinking about Santa Barbara a lot because of this new wave of fires. I was in the wild fires last year (actually on the way to the airport. We wondered why there was so much smoke in the air. We got home, read the news, and were so glad we LEFT when we did). I hope everything will be okay there.

Jennifer Margulis May 9, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Lagean May 9, 2009 at 7:10 pm

That is a great photo. Beautiful, calming, serene…..

Gena May 9, 2009 at 7:10 pm

That is a great photo. Beautiful, calming, serene…..

Judith Stock May 9, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Really great photo of the Santa Ynez Valley. I live 2 hours south of there, so I know the landscape and it is gorgeous. Hate the fires!

Judith Stock May 9, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Heather Dugan (Footsteps) May 11, 2009 at 12:10 am

Lovely. Wish I could step right in…!

Heather Dugan May 11, 2009 at 12:10 am

Lovely. Wish I could step right in…!

Lisa Jaffe Hubbell May 14, 2009 at 2:28 am

I love this part of California, and you’ve captured it beautifully.

Lisa Jaffe Hubbell May 14, 2009 at 2:28 am

I love this part of California, and you’ve captured it beautifully.

Kathleen Gall July 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm

The fires in Santa Barbara definitely suck! Last year we were staying at The Sandman Inn there and were on a hike when fires struck. It was so scary. It felt so nice to be back at the hotel safe and sound. We left the next morning.

July 11, 2011 at 9:21 pm

A fire like that would be scary. Unfortunately, in that part of the world, it’s unavoidable during dry hot weather.