Why Should Boomers Care About The Bloggies?

2011/02/11by Donna Hull

american-safari-quest-alaska-luxury-cruise

A toast to the 2011 Bloggies

Bloggies? What in the world are bloggies? The Eleventh Annual Weblog Awards — 2011 Bloggies — recognizes outstanding blogs in 22 categories, including travel.

How are blogs chosen? Starting in early January, readers nominate their favorite blogs for the Bloggies. Then, 200 randomly selected voters receive an invitation to choose the finalists from a list of the most-nominated weblogs in ten random categories. February 1, finalists are announced and the public is invited to vote for their favorite blogs before voting closes on February 20. Okay, that’s how it works; but, why should our baby boomer readers care?

Well, first of all, My Itchy Travel Feet is a finalist in the travel category. Alan and I are thrilled. However, this isn’t a please vote for us post. Instead, I’m encouraging our baby boomer readers to take a look at the finalists in whichever category interests them. Why? Because it’s a way for boomers to discover quality reading on the internet.

Just look at the finalists in the travel category. You’ll find excellent photography at Gary Arndt’s blog, Everything Everywhere. Looking for fun vacation information? Be sure to read The Vacation Gals, written by Jennifer Miner, Beth Blair and Kara Williams. Are you a fan of literary articles about world travel? Then be sure to click on Barbara Weibel’s blog, Hole in the Donut. Travel journalist, Kristin Luna shares her travel experiences at Camels & Chocolates. And then there’s My Itchy Travel Feet, with our emphasis on active travel for baby boomers.

I’ve made visiting the Bloggie awards site part of my nightly iPad reading. Each evening I check out all of the blogs from one or two categories. Let me tell you, creativity is alive and well. For instance, at Kerry Dexter’s Music Road, I’m learning about folk music. I especially enjoy her series on road trip music in the United States. When it’s time to take the grandkids to a movie, I’ll be consulting family movie  and TV reviews at Jane Boursaw’s Reel Life With Jane. Did I mention creativity? At the New Zealand blog, Frugal Kiwi, by Melanie McMinn, I’ve found creative ideas that also save me money. Be sure to check out her felting. Amazing. And baby boomers looking for a good read should not miss the humorous yet poignant writing at The Fabulous Geezer Sisters. No wonder Ruth Pennaker is included in the Best Writing category. And a visit to Pioneer Women shows just what one woman gone country can do with photography and writing while sharing her life on the ranch. There’s a reason Ree Drummond has garnered bloggie nominations in 6 categories.

So here’s your baby boomer homework for this weekend. Visit the 2011 Bloggies site. Check out some of the blogs, perhaps you’ll subscribe to a couple of favorites. Then come back here and post your favorites in the comments section. And, if you decide that one or two are worth your baby boomer vote, go for it.

Melanie McMinn February 12, 2011 at 3:41 am

Thanks Donna, not that I need to say it, but you got my vote on the first day of voting!

February 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Appreciate your comments and vote, Melanie.

John Boykin February 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Thanks so much for the info on the “bloggies”. I am new to blogging or at least the part that gets them read. You all seem to be way ahead of the pack in all categories.

At first glance, your blog website overwhelms. I could not get over all the places you go in such a short period. Thanks for showing the way.

John Boykin San Antonio The Boomer Mag. http:www.boomermag.blogspot.com

February 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Hi John, thanks for stopping by. Hope you’ll subscribe to our feed so
that you can keep up with our itchy travel feet. Last year was jam-
packed with travel for us. We may slow it down a bit this year. Having
said that, we find it hard to say no to travel opportunities. Our
motto: “Travel today because who knows what will happen tomorrow.” Let
us know if you have any blogging questions. We’re not experts but will
be happy to share our boomer blogging knowledge.

February 12, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Thanks, Jennifer! Lost in Cheeseland is a great blog. I also like
What’s for Lunch Honey? She had me at the fab photos of Italian food.

Vera Marie Badertscher February 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm

What a lovely post. The bloggies introduced me to several new favorites last year, and I haven’t yet taken the time to look them over this year, but I know I’ll find some gems. Good luck to you in the Bloggies, Donna and Alan.

February 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Thanks, Vera. You’ll have a great time investigating the bloggies
finalists. So much good reading!

February 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thanks so much for the mention, Donna! I had a blast going through all the Bloggie nominee sites the other day. So many great blogs – funny, creative, witty, poignant and everything in between.

February 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm

You welcome, Jane. I agree, great reading.

Info
February 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm

There are so many wonderful sites nominated. Thanks for highlighting the best of the best.

February 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Thanks, Brette.

Susan Johnston February 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Fingers crossed for you, Donna! I’ll also rooting for Reel Life with Jane, Music Road, and Fabulouse Geezer Sisters.

February 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Thanks, Susan. And also take a look at the other finalists, some
mighty fine reading there.

Barbara Weibel February 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Donna, you are, as always, so overwhelmingly gracious to write a post and link to the other finalists. I’m really tickled to be one of those five finalists in the Best Travel Blog category; I just wish we didn’t have to compete against one another. And I’m going to take y our suggestion to heart and sample blogs in the other categories for great reads.

February 12, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Thanks, Barbara. Hope you’ll come back to tell us about your new blog
finds. As I’ve already said, I love reading Hole in the Donut.

The Roaming Boomers
February 12, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Congrats Donna! Here’s hopping that your site rockets to the moon!

February 12, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanks, David and Carol. We’re ready to rocket to the moon as long as
we can figure out a little life balance along the way!

February 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Thanks, Pam. Your kind words mean a lot to me. Folks if you haven’t
checked out Nerd’s Eye View, your missing out on another fine read. It
more than qualifies to be a travel finalist in the Bloggies.

Sonya February 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Congratulations, Donna!

February 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Thanks, Sonya. Don’t forget to check out the rest of the nominations,
then come back to share your favorites.

Goughkj February 12, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I like the homework assignment. Congrats on your nomination!

February 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Thanks. Be sure to report back on your favorite blogs.

Mark H February 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm

A well-deserved congratulations and a just reward for your fine writing and photography over the years.

February 12, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Appreciate that, Mark. I enjoy reading your blog, Travel Wonders of
the World.

Christopher Allen February 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm

What a fantastic shout-out to all these blogs. Congratulations to everyone.

February 12, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Thanks, Christopher

Anonymous
February 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm

There’s some great stuff out there – amazing that bloggers give so much fabulous and free information – we should all be giving ourselves a big pat on the back.

February 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

You are right, Heather. And for our readers, Heather of Heather on Her
Travels was a finalist last year in the European blog category.
There’s great reading on her site. Check it out: http://www.heatheronhertravels.com/

kerrydexter
February 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Donna,
glad that you are enjoying Music Road, and thanks for the mention. I’ve been reading Frugal Kiwi for some time, and second your enjoyment of that blog, as well as Pioneer Woman and Reel Life with Jane. Through checking out the bloggie nominations this year I found an interesting blog on Norse mythology in the religion section — I’ve a friend who teaches the subject and even he had not known about this blog. Also, I like Smitten Kitchen’s photography.
best of luck to you in the awards, and to all your favorite nominees

February 13, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hi Kerry, thanks for stopping by to share your Bloggie favorites.
Great choices! Good luck to you, too.

February 13, 2011 at 9:50 pm

That blog on Norse Mythology is awesome.

McCool Travel February 14, 2011 at 6:56 pm

So many travel blogs, so little time. Nice to find a summary of award nominees. Oh, yeah, best of luck! As someone that just begun regular blogging a couple of months ago, I am happy with my progress (#45 Technorati Travel blog today) but realize I have so much more to do. So, thank you, also, for the inspiration. Best wishes!

February 14, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Charles. I hope you’ll subscribe to our feed
so that you don’t miss any of our baby boomer travel adventures.

Ruthpennebaker February 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Donna — Thanks so much for the mention — and best of luck to you.

February 16, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Thanks, I’m sending the good luck right back at ya.

Skraft February 20, 2011 at 9:29 pm

There is so much talent and creativity here. Best of luck to you, Donna. You deserve to be among the winners~

February 20, 2011 at 9:49 pm