Let Pinterest be your boomer memory

2012/04/12by Donna Hull

my-itchy-travel-feet-boards

The My Itchy Travel Feet Pinterest boards

Remember when we used to tear photos and articles out of magazines to save travel ideas, home decorating looks that we liked or recipes to try out? Maybe you still do. Well, this boomer is so over that. I’ve gone high-tech, baby. Meet Pinterest—it’s the easy way to digitally bookmark travel research, store recipes, remember gift ideas for the grands or anything else that you’d like to remember. And Pinterest comes with pretty pictures. Don’t you think photos are a much better memory jogger than words?

How do you get on Pinterest? First, request a free invite; then, if you’re lucky, an email will come within a day or two with a confirmation of your account. After that, it’s a matter of logging onto the site and setting up boards to display your favorite topics. At first, use the suggestions for board names that Pinterest offers, you can always change the name later or add more boards. This tutorial gives a simple explanation on how to set up boards, how to pin and how to find friends on Pinterest.

So how does pinning work? First, drag the pin button that Pinterest provides on their site onto your browser tool bar, then use it to pin photos from favorite blog posts or web articles to the boards at your account on Pinterest. Pinning the photo also grabs the url (web address) and links back to the blog or website, thus bookmarking that travel idea, recipe or gardening project for you. Pinterest also offers the option of uploading your own photo, which makes it easy to create a digital scrapbook of your favorite trip.

my-itchy-travel-feet-my-boomer-travel

This board chronicles our boomer travels

Boomer Pinterest tips:

• Folks, this is just like Facebook, Google+ or Twitter, it’s not so interesting if you don’t mix and mingle. Find your friends and others who are sharing beautiful photos (which link to fun content) on the topics that interest you, then follow them. You won’t believe this, but I’ve already discovered (and met in person) a Montana neighbor just from following her pins about my new home, the Bitterroot Valley.
  • Choosing the option to link to your Facebook account will post pins onto your Facebook Timeline (the same goes for Twitter), which let’s your Facebook friends know that you are on Pinterest. They can even like your pins from Facebook.
  • Don’t worry about not understanding Pinterest—just call your daughter or daughter-in-law for advice. She’s probably already on there as this is a very popular social media platform with those women who are—uh—a bit younger.

Would you like to connect with us on Pinterest? Look for My Itchy Travel Feet. So far, we have boards on road trips, national parks, American Southwest, cruise life, fun adventure ideas, our boomer travels and places we’d like to go, plus much more. We even encourage participation by inviting our readers to share their photos on some of our boards.

Do you see that red and white Pin It button at the end of this post? It allows you to pin our photos to your boards. And that big red P in our sidebar also links to our Pinterest account so that you can follow us.

Have we convinced you to join Pinterest? Are there other travel topics that you’d like to see us add to our boards? Post a comment to let us know. You’re also invited to post your Pinterest address in the comment section of this post so that we can follow you, too.

New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for travel specials, news and fun.

Barbara Weibel April 13, 2012 at 4:25 am

I need another social network like I need a hole in the head, but at least Pinterest is a bit different!
Barbara Weibel recently posted..PHOTO: Rugged Mountains Make up Most of Colca Canyon Terrain, near Arequipa, PeruMy Profile

April 13, 2012 at 8:16 am

The beauty of Pinterest is that all of your ideas are on the board and can be referenced at any time, unlike twitter and Facebook where the messages roll by in a stream and are hard to retrieve (if you can even find them). Barbara, your photos look beautiful on Pinterest.

Kay Walton April 13, 2012 at 8:01 am

I LOVE Pinterest! I started my Belize board a couple months ago … we’re heading there this summer – hopefully!

I still have to get my other travel photos uploaded, but it’s so much fun to share boards and comments!

April 13, 2012 at 8:15 am

What’s the url to your Belize Pinterest board, Kay? We’d love to see it.

Heatheronhertravels
April 14, 2012 at 11:05 am

I must say I have that same sinking feeling as Barbara – not another social network to master! But now I’m seeing pinterest everywhere I guess I’ll need to get in on the act, especially as I use so many photos on my blog
Heatheronhertravels recently posted..Postcard from San AntonioMy Profile

April 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Heather, I’m finding it’s like any other social media platform in that it takes more time than I want to get established. Once that’s done, it’s just a matter of maintenance. We are such a visual society, which makes Pinterest very valuable to a travel bloggers with good photos.

Leslie
April 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I registered for Pinterest awhile ago when one of my nieces recommended it, but haven’t done much with it until lately. Right now Jetsetter is running a “curator” contest in the travel areas of escape, adventure, cosmopolitan and style. I am doing an “adventure” entry. I pinned one of your Canyonlands photos! (lkbside is my user name)

April 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I had seen the Jetsetter curators but didn’t know what that meant. Thanks for pinning one of our Canyonlands photos. We have lots more adventures that you can still choose :-). Have you purchased any of the deals from Jetsetter? I belong but haven’t done much with it yet.