Is it just me or is everything in Italy mind-numbingly gorgeous? Wandering through any Italian city and its oodles of cathedrals, artwork, churches, bridges and endless landmarks is bound to result in mouths agape and eyes apopped. Whether you’re enjoying the dusty chaos that is Rome or the splendor of the Italian coast, everything is so historically profound and so just sophisticatedly… well, Italian. The sheer amount of history in this country mixed with an amazing aesthetic makes me never want to go home. Mix that with daily tastings of tender prosciutto slices, smoked mozzarella, creamy gelato and add a dash of those cute Carabinieri and a pinch of that sexy language and …
Wait … I’m digressing. Do you see what this country does to me?
Anyway, while I go off to cool down, enjoy these five great apps for your next Italian adventure.
1. Italian Menu Decoder is a very useful app for anyone visiting any part of Italy. Written by Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls, authors of 26 Italy guides, this app is based on over 30 years of research. With over 6,000 definitions of common food and drink vocabulary, a helpful pronunciation guide and several thousand photos, you can rest assured that you’ll never get served a plate of Casu Marzu when you’d just like a simple plate of cheese. $4.99. Available for both Iphone and Android.
2. Rick Steves Italian App is basically the bibbia of tour guide apps for Italy and most any other country in the world for that matter. One of the world’s most respected travelers, Rick Steve manages to answer all of your travel questions before you even realize you have them. The Italian section of his European Travel App is an in-depth look at all the Italian essentials you’ll need to help plan the perfect trip. Free. Available for both Iphone and Android.
3. Trenitalia’s iphone App is the best way to access train timetables and buy tickets while in Italy. No matter how long you’re planning to visit, traveling by train across this gorgeous country is a great way to see some of its best features. Not only useful for the daily time schedules and routes, but you can also buy tickets through the app. Free. Available for both Iphone and Android.
4. World Nomads Italian Translator App helps you learn the basics of Italian before you go. And yes, we all know that once you’re in need of a particular word, by the time you find the word you’re looking for in the dictionary, the actual moment has already passed. However, this app doesn’t require an internet connection, so you can always practice ahead of time. Free. Available for both Iphone and Android.
5. Tuscany Wineries App let’s you explore the best of Tuscany or at least, the best of its lovely, rich wines. There are over 700 wineries in this picturesque region and this app helps you choose which ones you’d like to visit by listing opening hours, winery tours and fees and a map of the region. It also provides information on the surrounding area, restaurant recommendations, etc. $2.99 Available for both Iphone and Android.
Need an app for getting there? You’ll find it in our Travel Apps For Your Next Trip ebook!
Do you have a favorite app for Italian travel to add to our list? We hope you’ll share them with us in the comments!
Presently living in Madrid, Nicole enjoys the guilty pleasure of forcing her cute Spanish husband to take her to various European cities in order to explore beautiful cities, profound history, and distinct cultures that can be found throughout Europe. Her travel articles and photos have been published in various publications as well as her own blog, Pass the Ham. And of course, she's currently enjoying her new post as assistant editor at My Itchy Travel Feet.