Apps for Italian Travel Updated 08.13.2017
Is it just me or is everything in Italy mind-numbingly gorgeous? Wandering through any Italian city and its oodles of cathedrals, artwork, churches, bridges and endless landmarks is bound to result in mouths agape and eyes popped. Whether you’re enjoying the dusty chaos that is Rome or the splendor of the Italian coast, everything is so historically profound and so just sophisticatedly… well, Italian. The sheer amount of history in this country mixed with an amazing aesthetic makes me never want to go home. Mix that with daily tastings of tender prosciutto slices, smoked mozzarella, creamy gelato and add a dash of those cute Carabinieri and a pinch of that sexy language and …
Wait … I’m digressing. Do you see what this country does to me?
Anyway, while I go off to cool down, enjoy these five great apps for Italian travel.
1. Italian Food Decoder is a very useful app for anyone visiting any part of Italy. Written by Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls, authors of 26 Italy guides, this app is based on over 30 years of research. With over 6,000 definitions of common food and drink vocabulary, a helpful pronunciation guide and several thousand photos, you can rest assured that you’ll never get served a plate of Casu Marzu when you’d just like a simple plate of cheese. $4.99. Available for both Iphone and Android.
2. Rick Steves’ Audio Europe™ is basically the bibbia of tour guide apps for Italy and most any other country in Europe for that matter. One of the world’s most respected travelers, Rick Steve manages to answer all of your travel questions before you even realize you have them. The Italian section of his European Travel App is an in-depth look at all the Italian essentials you’ll need to help plan the perfect trip. Free. Available for both iphone and Android.
3. Trenitalia for iPad is the best way to access train timetables and buy tickets while in Italy. No matter how long you’re planning to visit, traveling by train across this gorgeous country is a great way to see some of its best features. Not only useful for the daily time schedules and routes, but you can also buy tickets through the app. Free. English version available for iPad.
4. Italian Language Guide & Audio – World Nomads helps you learn the basics of Italian before you go. And yes, we all know that once you’re in need of a particular word, by the time you find the word you’re looking for in the dictionary, the actual moment has already passed. However, this app doesn’t require an internet connection, so you can always practice ahead of time. Free. Available for both Iphone and Android.
5. Wine Maps of Italy let’s you explore the best wineries in Italy. There are over 4,000 wineries included in this app. Choose which ones you’d like to visit. Each listing includes opening hours, website, address and a map of the region. $7.99 Available for iphone.
Need an app for getting there? You’ll find it in our Travel Apps For Your Next Trip ebook!
Disclosure: Affiliate links are included for your convenience. However My Itchy Travel Feet receives a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.