Welcome to this edition of News for the Week—a look at boomer travel ideas, news and deals.
Oh my goodness. My Itchy Travel Feet’s 11th anniversary passed right by me. In May 2008, when I hit publish on our first post, I had no idea what adventures were ahead of me (and Alan). And as long as we’re having a good time we’ll keep on going and writing about it. Bring on the 12th year.
Did you see the May newsletter featuring our best Alaska travel tips? Read on, then subscribe at the very end of the page.
This month, we’ll be featuring one of our all time favorite destinations: Alaska! Alan and Donna have cruised along Alaska’s gorgeous coastline and explored its beautiful landscape by car. Whether at sea or by car, they certainly found some ways to enjoy some very active travel in the Frontier State. Take a look at some of their most memorable Active Adventures in Alaska.
This Week’s Articles
Are you an inquisitive boomer traveler looking for a small ship cruising experience that focused on cruising to destinations with thousands of years of history to explore? This week, we featured a sponsored article telling you all about the Road Scholar Adventures Afloat program, which is geared to those looking for a ship service that offers an emphasis on learning.
Exploring Alaska on a road trip should be on everyone’s travel list. If you’re inspired to hit the road, Donna has updated her Tips for Planning an Alaska Highway Road Trip with a ton of helpful resources. Spoiler alert: did you know they’re traveling on another Alaska adventure in September?
Also on our Alaska beat is Sitka. Alaska is a popular cruise port and for anyone looking to stretch their legs after a few days on sea, this nature lovers’ paradise is not to be missed. Check out our Tips for Planning a Self-guided Sitka Walking Tour.
Are you enjoying our insider tips for visiting Australia by Leslie Connor? This week, she’s taking us on a boomer road trip along Australia’s Limestone Coast. Don’t miss this one!
Travel Deals for Boomers
This week’s edition of Travel Deals for Boomers is all about Mom. What better Mother’s Day gift than a travel product. Look what we found:
- If you’re on a tight budget, this Chico’s special is for you: Flash Sale: Extra 60% Off All-Ready Reduced Styles. Use Code: 57734. That pretty blue knit-mix Zenergy jacket would work well on a road trip or a cruise.
- Is your mom traveling to Europe this summer? An anti-theft cross-body bag from Baggallini is a must. Bonus points: It’s on sale!
- Inspire your mother with a book. National Geographic’s Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World’s Greatest Trips should do it.
- Does Mom like to write about her travel adventures? Here’s a gray leather Moleskine notebook to record everything.
- Treat your mom to a short-term membership at Medjet Assist for her next trip.
- Check out Columbia Mother’s Day Gift Guide!. You’re sure to find something to please mom.
- Is your mom a roadtripper? Keep her coffee warm with a heated travel mug.
Are you looking to save money on upcoming travels? Send us an email. We’ll check our resources for you.
More Travel News for Boomers
We don’t usually share contests but this one sounds like fun, especially if you’re curious about traveling in an RV. Win a one-week RV trip to Arizona State Parks sponsored by Cruise America and Arizona State Parks.
Headed to beautiful Alaska in search of active adventures? Check out this list of Alaska’s Top Adventures and Travel Tips. It’s a great resource!
And Active Times shares 25 places to see before you die. We can think about a thousand more destinations to add to that list.
That’s all for now but we really want to hear from you. If you have a question about travel or suggestions for our next boomer road trip eguide, please send an email through our contact page.