Horseback Riding in Ouray, Colorado

2009/08/06by Donna Hull

Meet my ride, Pedro

Meet my ride, Pedro

It’s no secret that Alan and I enjoy a trip to Ouray, Colorado. And, I’ve told you plenty about the 4-wheel-drive trails that wind through the San Juan Mountains around Ouray. But there’s more to do here than rattle baby boomer bones over rocky trails. You can jostle those same traveler’s bones while riding a horse.

When we’re ready for a break from shifting Jeep gears, Alan and I choose a more intimate mountain experience. We book a 2-hour¬† horse riding excursion through Ouray Livery. The ride takes us into the Uncompahgre National Forest, first along a road, then onto a hiking trail, peppered with summer wildflowers. The route winds up and down a ridge with several creek crossings. After an hour, riders reach a clearing where the horses are rested. Half-day rides continue up the mountain from here, while the two-hour groups turn around for the barn.

For novice horse riders like me, the trail is challenging without being scary. More advanced riders, that would be Alan, will find the ride is not so easy that it’s boring. You can thank the mountainous national forest for that.

After the trail ride, soak those sore baby boomer muscles at the Ouray Hot Springs Pool before a late lunch on the deck at Gold Belt Bar and Grill.

Have you been horseback riding in Ouray? Post a comment to share your tips. This is a baby boomer adventure that we’ll be repeating.

Ouray Things To Do

Julie August 6, 2009 at 5:36 pm

One of my best vacations ever was a week at the Three Bars Ranch in Canada, where we rode horses in the mountains twice a day. Well, I rode twice a day. My husband and a friend spent the afternoons skeet shooting, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, etc.

August 6, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Julie, that sounds like fun. I'd have to “train” for a year to be able to ride twice a day. I bet that was a beautiful vacation.

NancydBrown
August 6, 2009 at 6:40 pm

This sounds like a great trail ride, as does Julie's Three Bars Ranch recommendation in Canada.
I'll be launching http://writinghorseback.com/ soon, as a guide to Equestrian Travel Deals and Lodging Reviews.
I hope you'll book mark my site and come back when it is galloping along.

August 7, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Can't wait until your site is up and running, Nancy. I'll be sure to check it out.

August 8, 2009 at 4:44 am