Come on Baby, Do the Loco Moco

2010/02/18by Donna Hull

Warning: This blog post could be hazardous to a boomer traveler’s health. hawaii-loco-moco

Want to experience a Hawaiian fast food tradition? Try a Loco Moco. A loca whatta? You heard me right. Fried egg, over a hamburger patty, over rice, topped with brown gravy. I call it, “a heart attack on a plate.”

Unfortunately, Loco Mocos are delicious.

Where do you find this culinary delight? Road side restaurants, fast food joints and drive-ins serve them throughout the Hawaiian islands. Alan and I tasted our first Loco Moco at Joe’s on the Green near Poipou Beach on Kauai. Since Alan is a big breakfast fan, he quickly declared, “This is the Hawaiian breakfast for me.” I won’t tell you how many times he ordered it for breakfast during our week’s stay on the Garden Isle. Oh, and did I mention that Joe’s on the Green will even “Super Joe” it? Oh my, today’s blog post is so politically incorrect when it comes to boomer healthy eating habits. Hawaii-hana-hou-bakery

On Moloka’i, we watched the locals come and go as we ate Loco Moco’s at an outside table at Manae’s Goods and Grindz, the only eating establishment within miles of our accommodations at Hilltop Cottage. Lucky for Alan. Of course I was only there for the free wi-fi. Yeah, right.

But it was while reading Hawaii The Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook that we discovered Hana Hou Bakery in Naalehu, which claims to be the southern most restaurant in the U.S. (bet you thought it was some joint in Key West). We went for the macadamia nut pie, their claim to fame, but ended up eating a Loco Moco smothered in gravy, instead. But that’s ok, we needed to fuel up for our hike to the green sand beach at South Point, which was why we were on this end of the Big Island in the first place.

Want to make your own Loco Moco? WikiHow lists the instructions. But somehow, eating one in my kitchen at home just doesn’t seem right. I need a gentle Hawaiian breeze bearing the scent of frangipani flowers to accompany my Loco Moco. Did you notice I haven’t mentioned the soothing sounds of a ukulele tune? That’s because every time I eat a Loco Moco, (which isn’t often, Dr. Cornish, I promise) I hear Little Eva’s baby boomer hit, The Loco-Motion.

So the next time your boomer travels take you to Hawaii, throw caution to the wind, try that heart attack on a plate. “Come on baby, do the Loco Moco.”

Baby boomers, where do you go in Hawaii for a Loco Moco? Post a comment to let me know. Alan is updating his Hawaiian Loco Moco list for our next trip to the tropical paradise.

Loco moco photo courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alibree/ / CC BY 2.0 Disclosure:

I have included an Amazon link to Hawaii The Big Island Revealed for your convenience. However My Itchy Travel Feet does receive a small percentage for purchases made at Amazon.com.

New here? We hope you’ll come again. To keep up with us, subscribe to our posts, sign up for our monthly newsletter or keep up with baby boomer travel news and deals at the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook.

Sheryl February 18, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Donna, The LocoMoco sounds like something my husband (also named Alan) would enjoy, although I dare not make him aware of it…

And now, I'm singing the Loco-Motion in my head and can't turn it off! :)

kris bordessa February 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Big Island Grill in Kailua Kona. And while you're there, finish off the heart attack with a HUGE slice of taro cheesecake. ;-)

WanderMom February 18, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Yum, yum, yum :)

ruthpennebaker February 18, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Looks wonderful. I'll never see the inside of a bikini again — so why not?

Roxanne
February 18, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Too funny. It sounds kind of creepy, but doing anything at Poipu sounds good to me.

Frugal Kiwi February 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Sadly, I'm with Sheryl. Can't. Get. It. Out. Of. My. Head!

holeinthedonut February 19, 2010 at 1:31 am

Oh man — heart attack on a plate is right!. makes me glad I'm a vegetarian ;-)

pen4hire February 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm

What a fun post. You had me right at Macadamia Nut Pie. I think I'd pass on the Loco Moco–but anything with those island breezes tastes better.

February 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I'm glad ya'll enjoyed the post, healthy eating or not, I sure had fun writing it. I've been hearing “Do the Loco Motion” all week long. Sorry if I put a musical bug in your ears, too.

February 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Adding the Big Island Grill to my loco moco list. Thanks, Kris.

Guido vanden Elshout February 21, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Donna You probably know I read a blog MocoLoco frequently…so this one might explain their name:-)

ottsworld
February 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Looks delish…if I had finished a marathon prior…else I may opt for fruit and yogurt. However It does look the the Hawaiian version of an Egg McMuffin…and I've been known to eat a few of those! I have friends in Hawaii now – I'll pass along the post!

Deb Tyszka February 24, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I am doing a company’s newsletter that mentions Loco Moco. I would like to use your photo. If yes, what should the credit line be? I need to send it off to the printer by Thurs, Feb.25, 2010 5pm
Thanks

MyKidsEatSquid February 25, 2010 at 5:23 am

Wow, what a dish. My crew would love this–food & scenery, that is!

Cfisch710 October 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I have a friend from Hawaii and she made this for me I LOVE IT! Tasty very much a comfort food.

October 5, 2011 at 10:40 am

You’re right, a loco moco is very much a comfort food. I enjoy having it at least once while I’m in Hawaii.
Donna Hull recently posted..Am I A Fit Boomer Travel Girl? Well, Almost.My Profile

Ann alka WorkingBoomer
March 1, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Great article, Donna! If I ever get to Hawaii, I may just have to have a taste. A small one though, since I have already had a heart attack, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! Your posts are so well written and fun. I really enjoy them.