Saturday’s scene: Going to Church

2010/06/19by Donna Hull

russian-orthodox-church-dutch-harbor

In this photograph, Russian Orthodox Church of the Holy Ascension of Christ overlooks Iliuliuk Bay in Unalaska, Alaska, the island next to Dutch Harbor. On our visit to the oldest Russian Orthodox Church in North America, a bald eagle kept watch from a church spire.

Mark H June 21, 2010 at 1:37 am

I love the existence of Russian Orthodox churches and their onion domes in Alaska – makes a lovely meshing of history with modern Alaskan life.

ottsworld
June 21, 2010 at 4:49 am

I have to share this with with my friend who's Russian Orthodox…what a beautiful church. The green tops are stunning!

marthaandme June 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

We are going to Alaska this summer and I'm looking forward to seeing this in person.

Sandy2118 June 21, 2010 at 8:21 pm

This church is SO beautiful! I often forget about the Russian influences in Alaska. Thanks for this reminder. Maybe I'll get to the Klondike someday ….

June 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Actually this church is located in Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands, not in the Klondike.

June 22, 2010 at 3:12 pm

You won't encounter this church on a typical Alaskan cruise. This was part of our itinerary as we cruised from Vancouver to Singapore. It was the last Alaskan stop before reaching Siberia.

Sandy2118 June 22, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Just looked up the meaning of “klondike,” which I thought was a general term and is not. Learned something today! Thanks.

holeinthedonut June 24, 2010 at 4:25 am

What a lucky catch with the eagle perched atop the dome!

Dondelmo September 22, 2010 at 6:02 am

Actually it is no luck. the crosses on the domes happen to be the eagles perches.

Aleut_Woman August 12, 2010 at 3:17 am

I’m from Unalaska, and the church is on the Unalaska side not Dutch Harbor. They are two separate islands.

August 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for correcting me. I’ll correct this right away. Hope you’ll visit again.

Farrmm March 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Absolutly beautiful. I just bought a Bryon Birdsall picture of this church. It is painted in shades of blue and brown. my favorite colors. Was wondering if it was an existing church. Love the eagle in the photo

March 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I’m glad you liked the photo. Your painting must be beautiful as well.
Please visit us again.