Saturday’s scene: A Whirling Dervish

2011/09/24by Donna Hull

nile-cruise-whiriing-dervish

Whirling dervish

Spinning round and round ever faster, this Sufi whirling dervish kept his balance as our Cairo dinner cruise motored down the Nile. Can you feel the intensity in this blur of a photograph? I was sailing on the Nile Maxim as part of a small group cultural tour to Cairo hosted by AuthentiCity Travel. The performance is actually a form of religious mediation by the Sufi Dervishes of the Mevlevi order. The next act? A belly dancer.

Have you sailed on a Nile dinner cruise? Post a comment to share your experiences.

Disclosure: AuthentiCity Travel provided this travel experience.

To see more of my photos from this adventure, visit the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook. Be sure to click the like button while you’re there.

New here? We hope you’ll come again. To keep up with us, subscribe to our posts. And don’t forget to sign up for our monthly newsletter.

Nancy September 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I never had a dinner cruise on the Nile, Donna, but I did sail on a felucca in Luxor and Aswan.

Keep having fun!
Nancy recently posted..Darwin’s Favorite IslandMy Profile

September 26, 2011 at 7:13 am

A felucca ride in Luxor or Aswan is on my list. I also want to see the Valley of the Kings and Abu Simbel.

Deb September 25, 2011 at 7:18 am

I swear I was on that exact cruise with that exact dervish in 2008 on the Nile. That was a very fun night. It was the night before we left for our cycling trip through Africa. Our last evening in Egypt was on a Nile Cruise. I really do recognize his face in that twirling shot. I have to dig out our pictures and send it to you sometime soon!

September 26, 2011 at 7:14 am

Isn’t that funny? You’ll have to let me know if it really is the same guy. It could have also been the same belly dancer, too. You never know.

sheryl September 25, 2011 at 11:37 am

Love this photo! My husband often calls me a whirling dervish, but I doubt I’ve ever given off this impression…

September 26, 2011 at 7:14 am

This whirling dervish made me dizzy!

Cam September 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm

We saw the dervish in Cappadocia Turkey – I don’t know how they do it!

September 26, 2011 at 7:15 am

Cam, I wonder what type of effects they suffer after years of spinning on the same foot. Sounds like a knee replacement waiting to happen :-).

Nomadic Samuel September 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm

That’s an incredible photo the way you’ve captured the motion blur! :)
Nomadic Samuel recently posted..Machu Picchu | Peru | Part 2 | Travel VideoMy Profile

September 26, 2011 at 7:15 am

Glad you enjoyed the photo, Samuel. I got lucky.

MyKidsEatSquid September 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm

What an amazing picture and experience. I’ve never been to Egypt, but I’ve always wanted to go.
MyKidsEatSquid recently posted..Savory apple pizzasMy Profile

September 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I hope you get to go to Egypt one day. It’s quite the history lesson.

Reena September 27, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I love this photo!!

We got to see some amazing whirling dervishes at a festival celebrating the anniversary of Rumi’s death, in his hometown of Konya. Absolutely amazing…

September 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Glad you enjoyed the photo. I’m sure your experience was a bit more authentic than mine :-).

Jade Johnston September 30, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Wow great photo! I hope I get to Egypt some day!
Jade Johnston recently posted..Budget Travel In New ZealandMy Profile

October 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

Glad you enjoyed the photo. Hopefully, the political climate in Egypt will settle down so that more tourists will return. It’s a fascinating country to visit.

Heather on her travels
October 2, 2011 at 6:52 am

Funny, when we were in Siwa the local guy played us some of the music they dance to – he had it stored on his mobile!
Heather on her travels recently posted..The Siwa sunset at Fatmas Island – in EgyptMy Profile

October 3, 2011 at 9:12 am

Heather, I noticed the same mix of ancient culture and new technology. It’s sort of unsettling when you first see it. I’m thinking of the woman wearing a burka in Al-Azhar park who was also using a cell phone. Quite a contrast.
Donna Hull recently posted..Saturday’s scene: The View From Al-Azhar ParkMy Profile

October 3, 2011 at 9:13 am

Heather, I agree that there’s an interesting contrast between ancient culture and technology in Egypt. I saw a woman dressed in a burka talking on a cell phone. Quite the contrast!