Celebrating New Year’s Eve at Sea

2012/01/03by Donna Hull

Updated 12.01.2013

silversea-new-year's-eve-dessert

Happy New Year dessert on Silver Cloud

Is celebrating New Year’s Eve high on your boomer travel list? Usually, Alan and I quietly ring in the New Year at a neighbor’s house to avoid drunk drivers or spending a long evening in a crowded ballroom or restaurant with strangers. But I have a secret New Years Eve wish. I’ve always dreamed of a gala celebration at sea with a chance to dress up, dance after dinner and clink champagne glasses at midnight with friends we’ve come to know on the cruise. New Year’s Eve 2011, I finally checked that travel goal off my boomer bucket list when Alan and I cruised through the Panama Canal on Silversea’s Silver Cloud.

The night began with a cocktail party in the Venetian Lounge (Silver Cloud’s theater) followed by Abbalicious — a pre-dinner show performed by the Silversea Artists. This talented group of singers (3 males and 3 females) belted out songs by ABBA, delighting the international clientele on board and setting an energetic tone for the evening.

silversea-new-year's-eve-dinner-dance

Entering The Restaurant on Silver Cloud for New Year’s Eve dinner dance

Dinner choices included a formal dinner dance in The Restaurant, La Terrazza (Silver Cloud’s intimate, Italian dining venue) or the comfort of your own suite.  I’m sure that you’ve already guessed that the formal dinner dance in The Restaurant was our New Years Eve choice. After Alan donned his top hat and I placed a feathery tiara on my head, we walked through the black and white balloon arch into The Restaurant for the beginning of a festive event with our friends and travel companions, Jack and Sue.

silversea-new-year's-eve-dinnner-menu

New Year’s Eve dinner menu

At table 24 (our pre-reserved headquarters for the night), we unrolled the dinner scroll to discover a six course menu that included entree choices of beef tenderloin, fish or duck. The house band played ballroom favorites for dancing during the long meal. Members of the Silver Cloud entertainment staff also sang musical numbers to entertain us interspersed with the announcement of raffle prizes that included spa and casino certificates. The grand prize of a $1000 certificate off a Silversea cruise was announced right before midnight. Drats! We didn’t win.

The only downside to the evening was a dropped dinner order. At 11:30 p.m., our group realized that the rest of the room was finishing dessert and we hadn’t received our main course. It finally appeared with just enough time to finish before the real festivities began.

silversea-alan-donna-hull-new-years-eve

Almost time to toast the New Year on Silver Cloud

The staff distributed champagne-filled flutes before the big countdown when black and white balloons were dropped from the ceiling to much toasting, hugging and kissing. When the band played Wooly Bully from Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs, I knew we were in for some boomer dancing fun.

silversea-alan-hull-hot-tub

Alan takes a New Year’s Eve soak in the hot tub

Later, we ended the night with a soak in the hot tub where Alan and I exchanged hats. Boomers need to have a little fun, right? Don’t you think that Alan is a good sport for agreeing to publish this photo?

Overall, the Silver Cloud staff did an amazing job with food, decorations, service and entertainment. They certainly deserved their own celebration in the crew bar.

Have you celebrated New Year’s Eve on a ship? Post a comment to share your story. Alan and I will definitely be repeating this boomer experience.

To see more of our New Year’s Eve celebration photos on Silver Cloud, visit the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook. Be sure to like us while you’re there!

New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for exclusive specials and more travel fun.

Patty January 3, 2012 at 5:55 am

What a fantastic way to ring in the New Year! We spent our New Year’s on the 54th floor of the TD Bank building in downtown Toronto at the fabulous restaurant Canoe. I guess we boomers really know how to celebrate.
Patty recently posted..Christmas shopping in Nice: It’s better on the Riviera!My Profile

January 10, 2012 at 7:44 am

Hi Patty. Thanks for sharing your Toronto New Year’s Eve celebration with us.

Annette
January 3, 2012 at 7:33 am

Now that looks like way more fun than me ringing the New Year in on my couch half asleep :)
Annette recently posted..12 Months of Travel, Gastronomical Indulgences and Bucket List ChecksMy Profile

January 10, 2012 at 7:43 am

Annette, I’ve spent many New Year’s Eve nights half asleep on the couch :-).

Carol January 3, 2012 at 8:13 am

We spent New Year’s Eve on a cruise ship in the Caribbean 2005-6 … they had to move the festivities from the upper deck to the inside due to windy conditions but the celebration was a great excuse to dress up and party! Made extra fun by the fact that our daughter and her boyfriend came along that year. It was a perfect adventure to become acquainted with our future son-in-law. New Year’s Day we snorkeled and lounged on a beach in the Bahamas.
Carol recently posted..Rivers, Stars and BirthdaysMy Profile

January 3, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Carol, we love to snorkel and haven’t had the opportunity on this cruise. Thanks for sharing your cruising New Year’s Eve experience. We’ve enjoyed ours so much that we’d like to do it again, although not every year.

January 10, 2012 at 7:43 am

Hi Carol. Thanks for sharing your New Year’s Eve on a cruise. I would have enjoyed snorkeling on New Year’s Day; however, we were at sea.

Barbara Weibel January 3, 2012 at 9:46 am

Alan in your hat – what a hoot. And he’s definitely a good sport. Happy New Year to both of you!
Barbara Weibel recently posted..Down for the Count in Chugchilan, EcuadorMy Profile

January 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Hi Barbra, Happy New Year to you, too. Can you believe it, Alan was stone cold sober when he jumped in the hot tub wearing my tiara. I’m looking forward to reading more of your travel adventures in 2012.

Heather on her travels
January 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm

What fun – and it’s not every New Year that you can combine dinner, dancing and a soak in the hot tub
Heather on her travels recently posted..Gourmet Gothenburg – our Michelin star meal at Basement – videoMy Profile

January 3, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Hi Heather, hope your New Year’s Eve was fun as well. This was a very special one for Alan and me.

January 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

Yes, this was a once-in-a-lifetime New Year celebration.

MyKidsEatSquid January 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Your meal sounds amazing–even if it was a bit late. I’m curious, was it mousse in your chocolate dunked dessert?
MyKidsEatSquid recently posted..Holiday sweets round-upMy Profile

January 10, 2012 at 7:41 am

Actually the chocolate dunked dessert was my least favorite part of the meal. No mousse inside, unfortunately. However, I did sample some amazing chocolate concoctions while on the Silver Cloud.

January 6, 2012 at 6:34 am

How fun! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.
Jane Boursaw recently posted..Movies for Grownups: George Clooney Gets Vulnerable in The DescendantsMy Profile

January 10, 2012 at 7:40 am

You can live vicariously through us anytime, Jane.

Sherry Ott
January 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Happy New Year Donna! It looks like you had quite a celebration! I love the pic of Alan in the hot tub with your tiara on! :)
Sherry Ott recently posted..Hawaii From Above PhotographyMy Profile

January 10, 2012 at 7:34 am

A very late Happy New Year to you, too. I hope the travel year will be a great one for you, Sherry.

Nancy D. Brown
January 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Sounds like you had a special trip and New Year celebration.
Nancy D. Brown recently posted..Things to See and Do in Missoula, MontanaMy Profile

January 10, 2012 at 7:29 am

Thanks, Nancy. This was a fun distraction since we couldn’t be with family.

George Rajna December 26, 2013 at 12:24 am

Although I’m not a fan of cruises in general, at times a cruise can be the best way to see places such as the arctic and Alaska. I’ve never considering spending New Years aboard a ship but it sounds fun and looks like you two enjoyed yourselves. I wonder where you will be this New Years? We are on Langkai.

Take care,