Saturday’s scene: leaving Longyearbyen

2012/01/21by Donna Hull

regent-voyager-cruise-longyearbyen

Arctic scenery is the star as our ship leaves Longyearbyen, Norway

Alan photographed this gorgeous scene as Regent Seven Seas Voyager sailed from Longyearbyen on a Norwegian cruise itinerary that began and ended in Denmark. So where is Longyearbyen?  Located on the island of Sptizbergen in the administrative area of Svalbard, Norway, Longyearbyen is the most northerly town in the world. Voyager was cruising toward the polar ice pack, one of the highlights of the cruise. Unfortunately, about an hour before reaching the ice pack, a passenger’s health emergency required that our ship race back toward Longyearbyen to meet a rescue helicopter in the middle of the Arctic Ocean for an emergency evacuation. Although we didn’t make it to the ice pack, the voyage left me with the desire to return for a boomer cruise adventure in the Arctic. Next time, I want to cruise on an expedition style ship like Silversea’s Silver Explorer to meet the polar bears.

Have your cruised on an Arctic adventure cruise? Post a comment to share your experience. I’m putting this near the top of my boomer bucket list, right after an experience in Antarctica. Now, to convince Alan.

New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for exclusive specials and more travel fun.

Mark H January 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Maybe it is from living in a warm climate but I love the timeless beauty of the Arctic.
Mark H recently posted..Historic Court House: 100 Years of Change? (Bourke, Australia)My Profile

January 25, 2012 at 7:12 am

Mark, I grew up in a hot climate. I think that’s why I’m so enthusiastic about cold weather scenes and adventures.

January 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm

That photo is so beautiful and serene. I feel calmer just looking at it. Would love to visit that part of the globe sometime.

January 25, 2012 at 7:11 am

Those types of scenes make me feel peaceful, too.

Kris
January 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Just gorgeous. Too bad your visit was cut a bit short.
Kris recently posted..Tangerine Ginger JamMy Profile

January 25, 2012 at 7:10 am

Kris, I heard some passengers complaining about not making it to the pack ice rather than being concerned for the 40 something passenger who had a stroke. It’s comforting to know that the Captain took the passengers health emergency so seriously. It wasn’t an easy rescue.

merr January 24, 2012 at 11:32 am

Stunning! And in real life, I bet even more gorgeous.

January 25, 2012 at 7:06 am

Yes, the Arctic scenery was even more beautiful in person.

Janneke Noorwegen February 2, 2012 at 5:54 am

Wow. That picture is amazing. The water looks freezing cold though :)
Janneke Noorwegen recently posted..Noorse fjordenMy Profile

February 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Janneke, you are right about the water looking cold. I don’t think I’d want to test it.