Saturday’s scene: pull up a chair

2012/05/05by Donna Hull

boomer-travel-cancun-mexico

Cancun beach

Happy Cinco de Mayo. How will you be celebrating? Alan and I like the idea of pulling up a lounge chair close to the turquoise water on a Cancun Beach. This particular beach fronts the CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort. After a day of celebrating with margaritas and guacamole, we might just splurge with a dessert of Nutella quesadillas.

But will the residents of Cancun be celebrating Cinco de Mayo? Possibly not. According to a Wall Street Journal article, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated regionally in the state of Puebla, located in East-Central Mexico, to commemorate an 1862 victory over the French. It is NOT Mexican Independence Day, which is held on September 16. Instead, Cinco de Mayo is mostly an American celebration recognizing Mexican heritage and pride, dating back to Civil War Days. It was made official by a proclamation initiated by Congress and approved by the President on June 7, 2005.

Would you celebrate Cinco de Mayo on a Cancun Beach? Post a comment to let us know your boomer plans. This year, Alan and I will be sipping our margaritas in Montana.

Disclosure: My Cancun travel experience was provided by Marriott Resorts.

New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for travel specials, news and fun.

Annette
May 5, 2012 at 7:35 am

Shame on me. I didn’t even realize that it was Cinco de Mayo until I read this! Spending it on a beach sounds wonderful, but I’ll be spending it working.
No Margaritas for me :(
Annette recently posted..A Spin on the London EyeMy Profile

May 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for commenting Annette. Maybe this time next year, you’ll be enjoying that margarita on a Mexican beach for Cinco de Mayo.

Solo Female Nomad
May 5, 2012 at 11:57 am

Now, if I was in the right place I would be celebrating with Margaritas, chicken quesadillas and possibly a fish taco; BUT, I’m in Germany at the moment – so it will be just beer and sausages. Happy Cinco!

May 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm

We like fish tacos, too!

Brock - Backpack With Brock
May 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Too bad Cinco de Mayo rarely has beach weather in Canada! Enjoy your margaritas!
Brock – Backpack With Brock recently posted..A Ginormous Announcement: The Viator Dream Travel JobMy Profile

May 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks, Brock. It might not be beach weather in Canada but you can still enjoy a margarita on May 5!

Itty Bitty Boomer
May 7, 2012 at 6:34 am

Alas, not in Cancun … but at least enjoyed margaritas and an amazing Mexica-tessen potluck with new friends! And at least it was warm and just a bit balmy! Being a Mexi-Haole girl (1/2 an 1/2) living in California, my family always celebrated Cinco de Mayo as that opportunity to enjoy our Mexican culture.

Here’s to warmer days and summer nights!
Itty Bitty Boomer recently posted..A Mani/Pedi and “Me Time” In My Little SanctuaryMy Profile

Ryan at Travel and Graphs May 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

My Cinco De Mayo – crammed in a corner of McDonald’s working on my website :(. But no hangover on May 6th was a welcome change!
Ryan at Travel and Graphs recently posted..Illustrated Travels – Freya StarkMy Profile