Six boomer travel blogs that you should know

2012/05/22by Donna Hull

travel-blogs-baby-boomers

Paddling in the world of boomer travel blogs

Early last year, I wrote about how boomer travel blogs are booming, which introduced our readers to eight travel blogs that I thought you should get to know. It’s about time that I updated the list so here are six more to add to your reading list:

Travel for Boomers

Are you looking for travel ideas that won’t break your budget? Confused about how to use those frequent flyer miles? Travel for Boomers publishes information on travel specials, practical tips on the best use of frequent flyer miles (sometimes called travel hacking), even how to travel to far-flung destinations on a weekend jaunt. Christine Krzyszton and Kim Weiss head up this endeavor along with many boomer contributors who will introduce you to their favorite travel destinations.

More Time to Travel

As our children leave the nest, boomers definitely have more time for travel. At Irene Levine’s new site, More Time To Travel, Irene and her photographer husband, Jerome, share their first-hand travel experiences for boomers interested in “exploring new places, savoring new tastes, and nurturing their spirits.”  You’ve probably read Irene Levine’s travel articles at many of your favorite online sites such as Life Goes Strong or in print publications like The Boston Globe.

Girlahead

If you’re a luxury traveler, then Mary Gostelow’s Girlahead should be on your reading list. I met Mary in the lunch buffet line as our Silversea ship sailed from Cartagena to Ft. Lauderdale. Mary mentioned the word blog to another passenger and my ears perked up. Before long, we were talking blog talk. Although Girlahead does not focus specifically on boomers, Mary Gostelow knows luxury. After all, she’s been writing the Gostelow Report for luxury hotel operators worldwide for years. She’s also the editor-at-large for kiwicollection.com. And, she’s a boomer.

50plusboomerlife

Kristen Drake says, “I crossed over to a new dimension when I turned 50.” At 50plusboomerlife, she writes about boomer fashion (as the manager of a large fashion house in Bergen, Norway, she should know), boomer life and boomer travel. Look for Kristen’s guest article at My Itchy Travel Feet soon. She’ll be telling us about traveling to London with her college-aged son. I’m looking forward to the shopping suggestions.

Boomeresque

Suzanne Fluhr shares her sharp wit and baby boomer travels for the body and mind at Boomeresque. So where does the “esque” come from? Suzanne’s a “recovering Philadelphia lawyer.” Alan and I are looking forward to publishing Suzanne’s guest post about traveling to San Miguel de Allende in a couple of weeks.

Next Avenue

Okay, this one isn’t a blog. PBS has a new site for baby boomers—Next Avenue—where grownups keep growing. From money to care-giving to well-being issues, you’ll find “smart strategies for your next stage of life.” Of course travel is included, too. That’s where you’ll find my article about volunteer vacations.

Do you have a favorite boomer travel blog that I haven’t listed. Post a comment to share it with us.

New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for travel specials, news and fun.

Irene S. Levine
May 22, 2012 at 5:21 am

Thanks for the shout-out, Donna!

June 1, 2012 at 9:28 am

You’re welcome, Irene. I’m always happy to spread good karma to other boomer bloggers.

Brian at EverywhereOnce
May 22, 2012 at 6:37 am

A great selection – even for us not-quite-boomers. LOL

June 1, 2012 at 9:30 am

Glad you liked our choices, Brian. So much of what we post here at My Itchy Travel Feet is applicable to all ages of travel.

Kris
May 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I’m in the “not quite boomer” category, too. Reading your posts always make me wish I had more free time to travel. Soon, soon!
Kris recently posted..17 Plants on One Square Foot of LandMy Profile

Micki
May 27, 2012 at 10:41 am

Love this post! While I love the traditional younger backpacker blogs too, it’s great to see travel blogs focused on slightly older folks. I fall somewhere in between the two camps, and have to admit it’s nice to get the Boomer perspective sometimes.
Micki recently posted..Bells at Wat Pharathat Doi Suthep Temple, Chiang Mai, ThailandMy Profile

sheryl May 30, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for listing and sharing these, Donna! Traveling is something I love and do not do enough of. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Kim Weiss, Travel For Boomers June 4, 2012 at 7:50 am

Thank you so much for the nod of approval, Donna! Travel For Boomers has been a fan of your blog since we launched less than a year ago. To have YOU suggest that your readers pay us a visit — that means so much!!!
Kim Weiss, Travel For Boomers recently posted..MAKE MY MONDAY: Travel Deals & SpecialsMy Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Glad we could give Travel For Boomers a shout-out, Kim. Good karma always comes back around.

Just One Boomer (Suzanne)
July 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Thanks for the kind mention, Donna. MyItchyTravelFeet is an inspiration for us relatively newbie bloggers. Write on!
Just One Boomer (Suzanne) recently posted..Eire (No, Not Pennsylvania) — Ireland, The Emerald IsleMy Profile

July 17, 2012 at 3:37 pm

And thanks for making my day, Suzanne. I’m glad to be an inspiration for new boomer travel bloggers.

Boyd Lemon July 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hey, how about http://boomertravelblog.com, a guide for baby boomers and seniors to travel economically. New posts regularly about my travels and guest posts.

notjustaboomer October 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I really enjoy your blog and have taken a look at the others you have mentioned and found them to be interesting. My own blog is notjustforboomers.blogspot.com I try to provide travel information as well as health and finance issues primarily for boomers.

JRinAsia
November 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

Lists, lists, lists! I LOVE lists…especially when it comes to travel! Thanks for putting this info together, it’s always great to have new blogs to look into and get a fresh outlook on the life of travel.
JRinAsia recently posted..Filipino Food in Four Courses: Adobo Alternatives Beyond BalutMy Profile

November 27, 2012 at 6:25 am

Glad you enjoyed the list of boomer travel blogs. It’s fun to see travel from new perspectives.

Ron Whitaker February 15, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Some great sites!

Also, another great boomer-related travel website is midliferoadtrip.tv. It’s about a couple of boomers who simply travel the nation and videotape a lot of their adventures.

And they have a lot of fun adventures!

February 16, 2013 at 8:32 am

Thanks, Ron. I do know Midlife Road Trip. It’s about time a did another article (my third) on boomer travel blogs.