We’re going on a Glacier National Park hiking tour!

2012/06/06by Donna Hull

logans-pass-glacier-national-park

Will we be taking this hike at Logan's Pass on our Glacier National Park hiking tour?

Want to know a secret? Shh. Lean in a little bit closer. I’m a boomer traveler who’s always wanted to go on a hiking or walking tour. And, that’s just what Alan and I will be doing in September. We’ll be hiking and walking in Montana on a Glacier National Park hiking tour with Road Scholar. For six days, we’ll be watching for wildlife (Alan better have the camera ready for that grizzly bear photo) and gaping at spectacular scenery in Glacier National Park.

Our journey begins in Whitefish, Montana, with a hike on the Danny On Trail. Then, there’s a drive on the Going to the Sun Road, with breaks for hikes, before arriving at Many Glacier Hotel. Check!  I’ve always wanted to stay in this isolated corner of Glacier National Park so I’ll finally be marking off an experience that’s high on my boomer bucket list. The trip ends with another journey along the Going to the Sun Road—and more hiking— before arriving back at Whitefish and our accommodations at The Pines on Big Mountain where we started.

This Glacier National Park hiking tour is rated at moderately challenging with hikes ranging from three to twelve miles each (that 12-miler is optional). And, we’ll be led by naturalists who will also be giving lectures to the members of our small group in the evenings.

Stay tuned for more posts about our experience, including what the registration process has been like, how we’re preparing for a hiking trip—it’s back to the boomer fitness focus for Donna—and our actual trip experiences. We’ll be covering our adventure a little bit differently this time with daily photo posts and a description of the highlight of the day followed up with detailed articles once we’re back home. And don’t forget to check out the special Glacier National Park hiking tour board that we’re creating on Pinterest. It’s going to make you want to go with us! And, as always, we’ll be posting photos and experiences on the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook and at Donna’s Twitter account.

Have you traveled on a hiking tour? Post a comment to share your experience. Alan and I are really psyched about this boomer travel adventure!

Disclosure: Road Scholar is providing this travel experience, however the views and opinions are our own.

New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for travel specials, news and fun.

Brock - Backpack With Brock
June 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Sounds like an amazing trip! Too bad you have to wait until September!
Brock – Backpack With Brock recently posted..Exploring Franconia Notch State Park – New Hampshire, USAMy Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Brock, we’re going to need the next few months to trail for this hiking trip. We’ve been checking out trails in the Bitterroot Valley for practice.

Mark H June 7, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Cool name for a company!!
Mark H recently posted..Fun in the Sun in Paris (France)My Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Mark, Road Scholar used to be known as Elder Hostel. I like the new name much better :-).

Kerry Dexter
June 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm

look forward to reading about your preparation and the experience of the hiking tour itself.
Kerry Dexter recently posted..songs of the real west: Ian Tyson: Raven SingerMy Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Kerry. I do need to write a post about how we’re preparing.

Barney Delaney Photography
June 23, 2012 at 1:45 am

We’ve not been on a guided tour since a bad experience a number of years back, that one ended up being a guided march through the Atlanta back-waters, in the middle of the Georgia summer! Ever since then we’ve planned our own, reading your experiences are refreshing, thanks for shariing, nice photography too.
Barney Delaney Photography recently posted..Landscape Photography, Canada Landmarks, view of Mount Randall from Cascade PoolsMy Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Barney, I’m from Atlanta and can’t imagine a guided march through the backwaters on a humid Georgia summer day. We think there are many benefits from taking small guided tours. Sorry yours was a bad experience.

Ellie Knesper July 31, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Have a great time! I did this trip with Road Scholar (then Elderhostel) about five years ago. The hikes were amazing, and the setting at Many Glacier is spectacular. Try the Huckleberry Daquarie in the lounge. The trip was very well organized, despite needing to deal with a wildfire that closed portions of the park. I’ve done several hiking trips with RS and all have been excellent. Have FUN!

Linda PAXTON August 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm

JUST RETURNED FROM GLACIER NATIONAL PARK. DON’T MISS THE AVALANCE TRAIL, AND ICEBERG LAKE….TOTALLY AWESOME….I ACTUALLY LIKE GLACIER BETTER THAN ALASKA…..I ALSO DID PADDLEBOARDING ON FLATHEAD LAKE AND BIKED THE GOING TO THE SUN ROAD. LOVED IT.

Julie August 22, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I’m trying to find the Road Scholar special in the August newsletter. I just signed up for the newsletter two days ago & got my first newsletter. No sign of the Road Scholar special. Possibly this is the July newletter??? If so, when does the August newsletter come out? (First story in the newsletter is, “Where are Alan & Donna: Western Heritage Days in Stevensville.”)

August 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Sorry about that, Julie. I sent you an email with a link to the August newsletter and the Road Scholar special code. Thanks for visiting us.

Joy September 9, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Hey this is on my bucket list too! Keep updating your latest hike photos and let us know how’s it going. :)

September 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm

You’ll have to keep checking back, Joy. We’ll be posting photos all this week from our Road Scholar Glacier National Park hiking program.

Nelieta November 26, 2012 at 8:50 am

I love the title of your Blog! My husband and I both love hiking and this looks like a wonderful excursion that you have planned.
Nelieta recently posted..Ferry crossing over to Uruguay – SeacatMy Profile

Alan December 4, 2012 at 2:02 am

Hi Donna we often plan our travels around hiking and your upcoming trip sounds wonderful. Your planned trip sounds wonderful.

December 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Alan, the trip was wonderful. What have been some of your most memorable hiking trips?

Ron Whitaker March 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Montana!

I’m dying to visit there sometime. Especially the western part of the state.

Ever since seeing (years ago) “A River Runs Through It,” I’ve really wanted to visit and drive through those mountainy roads.

Take plenty of photos and provide a blog post after your trip.
Ron Whitaker recently posted..Differences Between Jams, Jellies…and Other SpreadsMy Profile

Konrad Braun
August 14, 2013 at 9:18 pm

How was it? Did you do a follow-up post with pictures? Would love to hear/read of your experience.
Konrad Braun recently posted..Tips to Avoiding Rip-Off Scams in Southeast AsiaMy Profile

August 16, 2013 at 7:24 am

Actually we’ve written many articles about our Glacier hiking trip. Go here for fun reading: http://myitchytravelfeet.com/hiking-glacier-national-park-with-road-scholar/
Donna Hull recently posted..YukonHo! on the Alaska HighwayMy Profile