Registering for a Road Scholar program: my boomer experience

2012/08/08by Donna Hull

montana-logans-pass-boomer-travel

I’m looking forward to seeing this scene again on our hiking program with Road Scholar.

As most of our boomer readers know (if you’ve been reading My Itchy Travel Feet this summer), Road Scholar has invited Alan and me to go on an educational hiking tour  in Glacier National Park  in early September. During the trip, we’ll be posting daily photos of our experience as well as publishing in-depth articles upon our return home. What is Road Scholar? It’s a non-profit organization that promotes learning and discovery through travel. Are you curious about the process of choosing and booking a program? Today, I’m sharing my Road Scholar registration experience with you.

Of course the first step for any boomer traveler is choosing where you would like to go. Have you seen the Road Scholar site? You’ll be inundated with choices for educational travel around the world. I especially like that the website offers trip searches based upon location, map, interest, activity level, date or category. After choosing your program, simply enroll and then checkout with the shopping cart option.

Do you prefer making travel arrangements via telephone? This is where Road Scholar shines. I spent an informative twenty minutes with Claire, a Road Scholar representative, who explained the details of the Glacier National Park program that I had chosen. Claire walked me through the process as if I had been a paying customer. We discussed accommodations, the level of activity, transportation arrangements and possible trip extensions. I especially like that the price for the program includes a Travel Assistance Plan in case of emergencies, including emergency evacuation insurance. Although the plan does not pay for medical costs, it does provide transportation in the case of an accident during the trip. An optional policy (Road Scholar Trip Cancellation, Interruption & Travel Delay Insurance) that includes pre-existing conditions is available at a very reasonable price. If you have health issues, or have elderly parents with health issues, this is important coverage that you’ll want to consider.

Since registering for the trip, I’ve received comprehensive details specifically for our hiking program in Glacier National Park. Stay tuned because I’ll be telling you more in another post. And, I’ve also been familiarizing myself with the Road Scholar website, including the Social Dashboard with links to a Facebook page, Twitter, photos and videos, expert blogs plus ratings and reviews from past Road Scholar travelers. There’s even a forum where trip participants can introduce themselves or arrange meetups before their trip occurs.

What else are Alan and I doing to prepare for our Road Scholar hiking program in Glacier National Park? Getting into hiking shape:

Do you have a Road Scholar registration experience to share? Post a comment to tell us about it. While looking around the site, I noticed lots of repeat trips by Road Scholar alumni.

Have you subscribed to the My Itchy Travel Feet newsletter? Road Scholar is offering an exclusive special to our subscribers, for first timers (must be your first time booking a Road Scholar trip). Look for it August 15, 2012. Subscriber here.

And, don’t miss our Hiking in Glacier National Park Pinterest board.

Paula August 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I found Road Scholar to be very helpful and the trip I took with my mother to Key West was great fun. I look forward to following your excursion to Glacier National – a place I hope to visit soon

August 10, 2012 at 6:05 am

Hi Paula, thanks for commenting about your Road Scholar trip. What did you like best about it? I’d love to go back to Key West for an closer look. My one experience was as a cruise port, which is not always the best way to see a destination, especially when you are one of thousands of cruisers walking around.

Just One Boomer (Suzanne)
August 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm

How “fit” do you have to be for the Road Scholar program you’re doing?
Just One Boomer (Suzanne) recently posted..The “Wrong” SideMy Profile

August 10, 2012 at 6:03 am

Suzanne, our Road Scholar hiking program is ranked as moderately challenging. From the website: “If you’re someone who enjoyes a good physical challenge, spending most of your days on the go, then you’ll love our Moderately Challenging programs.”

For me the challenging part is hiking day after day, which is why I’m working on getting in hiking shape. None of the hikes are particularly long (usually about 3 miles), although there are longer choices on a couple of days. I like that there will be harder/easier options.

Debbie Beardsley
August 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I’ve never taken a trip with Road Scholar but will be very interested in hearing about your trip when you return! Its great to see a company that offers such comprehensive customer service. It really must give you a sense of confidence that your trip will be awesome.
Debbie Beardsley recently posted..Photographic Europe: More of my Favorites!My Profile

sheryl August 10, 2012 at 5:47 pm

How exciting! You have a wonderful adventure ahead of you…can’t wait to hear more about your experience.
sheryl recently posted..Five Healthy Lessons We Can Learn from Our DogsMy Profile

Mark H August 14, 2012 at 6:45 pm

What a great sounding initiative (and a clever name…)
Mark H recently posted..Photo of the Week: Worm-Eye View of a MushroomMy Profile

Chris August 30, 2012 at 8:13 am

Glacier is a great place to travel. I would also recommend the Wasatch range area around Jackson Hole as well as Yellowstone (both a few hundred miles south).

Bob February 23, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Great way to spend your retirement. When I was in my 30s and 40s I had a job where I had to travel 48 states. I think I was actually in 46 of the lower 48. The trouble is, most of what I saw was the inside of a Holiday Inn guest room or the showroom of a motorcycle dealership (which was my industry).

Now that I am retired I have often thought of going back and seeing some of the places that stood out in my mind and turning it into some type of adventure as you have.

Really enjoyed this.