Saturday’s scene: Schwerin Castle on a Friday night

2012/10/05by Donna Hull

germany-schwerin-castle

Schwerin Castle at sunset

On a cloudy, Friday evening, Schwerin Castle seems to glow in the last light of the day. Once home to the Duke of Mecklenburg, the castle, which sits on an island in  the Schweriner See (Lake Schweriner), is now the seat of Landtag (the state parliament). Boomer travelers who enjoy a mix of romance, culture and history will appreciate the charms of the castle as well as the historic district and many lakes of  Schwerin, Germany located in the northern state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Have you visited Schwerin? Post a comment to share your experience. I have so much more to tell you about this lovely city. And, yes, I’ll be bringing Alan back here for a romantic trip.

Disclosure: Airberlin, VisitBerlin and The Oder Partnership City of Gdansk have provided this travel experience. As always, the opinions are my own.

Stuart
October 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm

What a great photo. It looks unreal. You’ve caught the light beautifully and the lamps of the cars too. Those German castles are something else – I’m sure they were Disney’s inspiration. Can you stay in it?.
Stuart recently posted..Talking Point 1: The Goggle BoxMy Profile

October 6, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Hi Stuart, I’m glad you liked the photo. Unfortunately, this castle doesn’t offer accommodations. It serves as the house for the state parliament. However, there are restaurants on site, although I did not sample them.

Barbara Weibel October 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Looks like the Disney Castle – or maybe the Disney Castle looks like it.
Barbara Weibel recently posted..PHOTO: Beautiful Shipwreck Beach on the East Side of Lana’i, Hawai’iMy Profile

October 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I don’t think this is the inspiration for the Disney Castle. Did you notice the different roof styles in the photo? The castle was built over an extended period of time. Each king added his own distinctive elements.

Mark H October 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

The pinkish hue gives the castle a wonderful elegant feel. To add to a comment above, I always thought that Mad King Ludwig’s Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria was the inspiration for the Disney castle but that may be just one of those nice stories…
Mark H recently posted..Photo of the Week: Eggs and Chips Must Be Special (New Zealand)My Profile

October 16, 2012 at 10:53 am

Mark you are right. The castle in Schwerin is not the model for Disney’s castle, which is based upon Neuschwanstein Castle n Bavaria.

Mike October 8, 2012 at 12:38 am

Schwerin Castle is a must-see tourist spot. I think this castle is perfect for newly weds or honeymooners. What do you think?

October 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

Mike, Schwerin Castle would be more fun for honeymooners if they could actually stay there. Since the castle is the seat of parliament for Mecklenburg, that’s not going to happen.

Mary October 8, 2012 at 12:41 am

I agree! We already visited the place. As a couple, we fell in love with the place. There’s lots of good cafe restaurant and lakes nearby which make it a perfect spot for travel.

October 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

Mary, I’d love to return to spend more time in Schwerin. My trip barely scratched the surface.

Debbie Beardsley
October 8, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I haven’t been to this castle but would love too! It does look beautiful and magical.
Debbie Beardsley recently posted..London Bridge through the AgesMy Profile