A foggy view at Riekermolen

2012/12/10by Donna Hull

amsterdam-windmill

Riekermolen, an Amsterdam windmill

Do you like Alan’s atmospheric photo of an Amsterdam windmill? Did you know that this shot wasn’t planned? The lens fogged up when Alan pulled out the camera to photograph Riekermolen, a windmill near Amsterdam that dates from 1636. And It proves that sometimes a camera mishap can turn out better than you think.

We were being transported from Amsterdam to Utrect to meet our ship, the AmaWaterways Amacello for a Christmas cruise on the Rhine River. The journey included a scenic drive along the west side of the Amstel River. At Riekermolen, the bus pulled over for a brief stop to photograph the famous Amsterdam windmill, which is located on a portion of the river where Rembrandt enjoyed taking walks.

Alan’s fogged-up lens turned out to be a benefit on a cloudy, snowy December day when light conditions were not the best for photography. Cropping out a lens flare was the only processing necessary for this photo.

Have you visited the windmills near Amsterdam? Post a comment to share your experience. We think a bicycle tour would be a fun active travel choice.

Jackie Smith
December 10, 2012 at 6:21 am

I adore windmills and love Alan’s shot of this one!
Jackie Smith recently posted..No Place Like Home for the HolidaysMy Profile

December 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Jackie, you’d find plenty of windmills to photograph in the Netherlands.

AnitaMac December 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I couldn’t agree more….a bicycle trip through Holland and Amsterdam would be brilliant. It is on my cycling bucket list – has been for some time. Great way to get out and explore. I love the effect of the fog on the photo – adds a certain mystique!
AnitaMac recently posted..I Want to Go with Oh to RomeMy Profile

December 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hi Anita, glad you enjoyed the photo.

Mark H December 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Magical – so much more atmosphere than if caught on a sunny day.
Mark H recently posted..Photo of the Week: Old and New (Hong Kong, China)My Profile

December 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Mark, we were thrilled to find that the photo wasn’t a disaster after all.

Greg Prohl December 15, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I agree, the unexpected – if you’re open to it – will often enhance rather than detract, and this is true of so many things in life including but not limited to photos and travel. I had a very similar experience several years ago visiting a monastery in Odessa, Ukraine. When our bus arrived and heavy fog blanketed the scene, I at first thought “what a disaster!” In fact they turned out to be some of the best and most atmospheric photos of my entire trip.
Greg Prohl recently posted..Eastern Washington, Part TwoMy Profile

December 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Hi Greg. Thanks for stopping by to comment. I’m sure your Odessa monastery photos are outstanding. Isn’t it fun to make the best out of a disappointing situation?