Saturday’s scene: Travel reflections

2012/12/29by Donna Hull

travel-reflections-swiftcurrent-lake

Travel reflections at Swiftcurrent Lake, Glacier National Park

I couldn’t think of a better photo to represent our travel reflections for 2012 than this scene of Swiftcurrent Lake that Alan took on a Road Scholar hiking program in Glacier National Park. Besides being a literal interpretation of our travel reflections, the photo also represents the beautiful journeys to some pretty amazing destinations that Alan and I experienced this year. We think it deserves to be our picture of the year for 2012.

In 2012, we checked three items off our boomer bucket list:

• Celebrating New Year’s on a ship: I’ve always wanted to ring in the New Year on a ship. Alan and I made that happen on a personal trip with Silversea cruises through the Panama Canal that included greeting 2012 with a festive celebration.
  • Staying at Many Glacier Hotel in Glacier National Park: A stay at this historic hotel has long been on my list. I checked that one off when Alan and I attended a Glacier National Park hiking program to report and photograph the experience for Road Scholar. Proving to myself that I could hike 30 miles in one week was an added bonus.
  • Seeing the German Christmas markets:  On a personal trip with AmaWaterways Christmas markets cruise, Alan and I soaked in all the holiday cheer that Germany has to offer while marking another item off my boomer bucket list. Although the trip ended on a down note—I had to go  home early due to back trouble (I’ll be writing more about that soon)—crunching our way through snowy Christmas markets while sipping Gluwhein was all that I dreamed it would be.

Seeing new places, trying new activities, relocating to a new state:

• Visiting far-flung South Pacific destinations: on a personal cruise with Seabourn Odyssey from Sydney to Los Angeles, Alan and I marked off new-to-us South Pacific islands including New Caledonia, Iles de Pins, Fiji and America Samoa. We were truly cruising off-the-beaten-path.
  • Learning to fly-fish on a visit to Helena: When Heidi O’Brein of the Helena Tourism Improvement District invited us to visit Helena, Alan and I discovered Montana’s delightful capital city. We also got our first chance to fly-fish on the Missouri River. There’s so much to do in Helena. Hey Heidi, we’ll be back.
  • Glamping in Santa Barabara: On a road trip that included Santa Monica, Santa Barbara and West Hollywood, I discovered why a Toyota Venza just might be my next vehicle. The opportunity to kayak in the Pacific Ocean was an added bonus.
  • Visiting Berlin and Beyond: A trip to Berlin, Poland and the former East Germany brought back memories of the Cold War. But, thanks to Visit Berlin and Air Berlin, I also discovered charming destinations that are off-the-beaten-path and just waiting to be discovered by boomer travelers. You’ll be reading more about my trip in 2013.
  • Relocating to Montana: Alan and I finally did it. We made Montana our permanent home. If you’ve been reading our site for very long, you know that Montana has a special hold on us. Small town living is a big part of the appeal. We’ve been slowly introducing you to our off-the-beaten-path Montana discoveries. Look for more of the same in 2013.

Looking ahead to 2013:

To be honest, I much prefer looking ahead than remembering the past (although there are lessons to be learned from travel reflections, some of which I’ll be writing about). Until my back issue is resolved, our travels are up in the air. Alan and I are keeping our fingers crossed that our February Los Angeles to Los Angeles cruise on Silversea Spirit is still a go. We’ll be visiting two of our favorite cruise destinations—French Polynesia and Hawaii. And there might be a new sports car in our future, which means another sports car road trip is in the works.

I’ll be starting a new monthly series in January about making monthly health changes. I learned a big lesson with the back issues that I experienced on the Rhine River cruise—active travel depends on good health. So, I’ll be writing about one healthy change a month that we all can make. I hope you’ll join my challenge and make the healthy change with me.

And, our biggest news for 2013. On January 7, we’ll be revealing a new look at My Itchy Travel Feet. Alan and I can hardly wait to show you. Stay tuned!

What are your travel reflections for 2012? Where did you go? What did you do? Post a comment to share with us. Alan and I look forward to reading them.

Thanks to the following brands for working with us in 2012: Thermacare, Helena Tourism Improvement District, Toyota U.S.A., Road Scholar, Visit Berlin, Air Berlin, Marriott Rewards and Therafit shoes.

Kara
December 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Fitness is a priority of mine in 2013 – I look forward to reading your “healthy changes” ideas!
Kara recently posted..2012 Was a Very Good YearMy Profile

Just One Boomer (Suzanne)
December 30, 2012 at 12:00 am

We went on a 25 day trip to Europe in 2012 after I managed to convince my husband, Steve, that the earth would not stop spinning on its axis if we were away from our home base in Philadelphia for that long. Thanks to places Steve had to be for work, we were able to visit Ireland, Copenhagen, Helsinki and London.

In 2012, I also had the chance to return to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico for the first time in 49 years (!). I had lived there for a year with my family when I was 9 years old.

This was also the year I started doing less lawyering and devoted time to starting my blog, Boomeresque. And, thanks to Donna, I’ve had the chance to guest post on My Itchy Travel Feet — a must read for Baby Boomers interested in active travel.

Donna, I’m also looking forward to your series on healthy changes we can make to ensure that we will continue to be able to see the world—up close and personal. Best wishes to you and Alan for a healthy and contented 2013.
Just One Boomer (Suzanne) recently posted..The Overseas Highway to Key West, FloridaMy Profile

Heatheronhertravels
December 30, 2012 at 7:18 am

Sorry to hear about your back problems and I hope it doesn’t stop you having equally rewarding travel experiences in 2013
Heatheronhertravels recently posted..A celebration of African music and culture in Festival Sur le NigerMy Profile

Jackie Smith
December 30, 2012 at 8:25 am

Look forward to reading about your 2013 adventures. . .no doubt in my mind you’ll be up and at ‘em soon and reporting back about your new discoveries. Happy New Year to you both!
Jackie Smith recently posted..Ely, Nevada: An Elixir for the SoulMy Profile

Vera Marie Badertscher
December 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I was right where you are a year ago–couldn’t make plans because I couldn’t walk. Fortunately it got all fixed, and we started taking short trips and long walks again. I hope you’ll bounce back as well as I did. Happy travels in 2013.
Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..Irresistible, Inspiring Travel VideoMy Profile

grayspirit December 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm

My biggest health tip that I’ve adopted since moving abroad is eating more like someone from the third world. A lot less red meat. More fish and chicken. And portions are smaller. My diet is a lot simpler now, but that doesn’t mean the food is bland. There are a lot of creative things to do with simple foods. I actually feel healthier now in retirement abroad – I think it has to do with diet and a LOT less stress.
grayspirit recently posted..Yucatan Peninsula: Mexico RetirementMy Profile

Leigh
December 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm

It’s been a great year for you Donna – at least up until your back problems.
I think we all take our health for granted until something happens. I have become far more food aware with health issues starting to affect friends. I read a book last year – Younger Next Year for Women and feel like I need to get back to the 6 days of week of exercise to be in optimal health. I was a dietitian in a former life – with a focus on cholesterol – and am leaning towards the sort of lower fat, high soluble fiber, lots of complex carbs kind of diet. I won’t be giving up my glass of wine though!
Leigh recently posted..Highlights of My Year (2012) in PhotosMy Profile

sheryl January 5, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I truly hope your back issues are resolved quickly so you can get back to doing what you do best – let us live vicariously through your wonderful adventures~!
sheryl recently posted..My Top Thirteen New Year’s Resolutions (Hint: They’re not for me)My Profile

January 8, 2013 at 6:24 am

Thanks, Sheryl. All I can do is hang in there and go with the flow. One thing’s for sure, my boomer life is never dull.