Alan and I are off on another road trip. This time, we’re traveling from Missoula, Montana, to Vancouver Island, Canada, and back. As usual, rather than taking the speedy route, we’ve chosen a slow scenic journey. We’ll be making our way through Montana and Idaho before crossing the Canadian border into British Columbia. Our itinerary takes us on Canada Highway 3, which hugs the U.S./Canadian border, on an inspired ride filled with mountain views all the way to Vancouver where we’ll board a ferry at Horseshoe Bay for Vancouver Island.
Maybe that’s why the Canadian border crossing guard at Porthill, Idaho, said to us, “You’re traveling to Vancouver Island the really slow way.”
Stops on our Vancouver Island road trip include:
Castlegar, B.C.: Overnight at Windborne Bed and Breakfast.
Princeton, B.C.: Overnight at Sandman Hotel.
But the real purpose of our trip is to experience Vancouver Island:
- We’ll be spending 3 nights hosted by Tourism Nanaimo and Inn the Estuary. Alan and I are looking forward to sampling the goodies on the Nanaimo Bar Trail, country drives, hiking beach trails and a 6-course dinner at Mahle House.
- At Ulucelet on the West coast of Vancouver Island, we’ll be spending 3 nights at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort for a Vancouver Island Porsche Club weekend.
- We’ll be extending our time on Vancouver Island’s West Coast with a two-night stay in Tofino courtesy of the Relais and Chateaux property, Wickaninnish Inn.
- Then, its back to Nanaimo for one night at the Buccaneer Inn before the ferry takes us back to Vancouver.
- We’ll re-enter the U.S. near Bellingham, Washington, for a short stay at MoonDance Inn Bed and Breakfast
Read the rest of our Road Trip to Vancouver Island articles to create your own itinerary to this lovely part of the world.
Disclosure: A portion of this trip has been provided by Tourism Nanaimo, Inn the Estuary and Wickaninnish Inn.