Discover Fjords, Waterfalls and Goat Farms on a Cruise in Norway

2008/09/19by Donna Hull

Do you dream of cruising the fjords of Norway? This baby boomer did. Then, Alan and I traveled on a 15-day Regent cruise on the Seven Seas Voyager through the land of the midnight sun and my dream came true.

norway-cruise-excursion-goat-farm

Life on the goat farm

During our boomer adventure, we visited the cosmopolitan cities of Oslo and Tromso, hiked the mountain that overlooks historic Bergen, and watched with amazement as our ship negotiated the narrow fjords to Geiranger and Flam. As an added bonus, we sailed to the very end of Europe, the North Cape, and beyond to Longyearbyen.

Weather is always “iffy” in this part of the world, but we didn’t let the rainy June weather stop us from exploring. The Voyager’s travel desk offered active excursions that ranged from an overland tour to Geiranger including a four-hour hike, a ride on the Flam Railway culminating with a 2.5-hour hike in the mountains of the Sognefjord to a bird safari by boat in Honningsvag. And, of course, I’ve already posted about our hike up Plateau Mountain at Longyearbyen.

In Geiranger, Alan and I were pleasantly surprised with our excursion to Splendid Herdal Mountain Farm where we learned about goat farming. The drive to the farm was scenic beyond words as the road twisted between mountains and valleys. And, who knew that goat cheese could taste so good?

norway-fjords-cruise-waterfall

Seven Sisters Waterfall

Of course other cruise lines sail in this part of the world. In 2012, Silversea offers an interesting itinerary that adds Russian ports to the Norwegian mix. The Yachts of Seabourn provides a 16-day Norwegian Fjords and  North Cape cruise that includes a stop in the Lofoten Islands. Or, try the Hurtigruten-Norwegian Coastal Voyage, if you’re looking for a more adventurous boomer itinerary.

Standing on the cabin’s balcony as Voyager slipped up fjords decorated with thundering waterfalls fulfilled my baby boomer Norwegian dream…until the next time.

Have you traveled to Norway’s fjords? Post a comment. I’d love to read about your journey.

New here? We hope you’ll come again. To keep up with us, subscribe to our posts, sign up for our monthly newsletter or keep up with baby boomer travel news and deals at the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook.

Jeff Paulett September 20, 2008 at 10:09 am

Norway is such a beautiful country. The scenery along the fjords is absolutely spectacular and the Hurtigruten Voyages are probably the best way of seeing it.

Jeff Paulett September 20, 2008 at 10:09 am

Donna Hull September 20, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Hi Jeff,
It’s nice to have a representative from Hurtigruten visit My Itchy Travel Feet. I hope you’ll stop by again.

To baby boomer travelers, if you’ve cruised on Hurtigruten, please post a comment to let my readers know about your experience.

Thanks,
Donna

Donna Hull September 20, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks,
Donna

Sherri Meyer September 20, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Greetings from Auburn, CA

Donna – I love what you are doing here on this Blog, for us Baby Boomers.

I will definitely stay in touch with you, as I am also very passionate about the subject.

Thank you also for commenting on my Photo Blog. Have you seen my 2 recent interviews about the Baby Boomer generation on my Blog? One of them is currently on National Television.

If you haven’t already, you can check them out at http://sherrimeyer.com/Blog/?p=686.

Keep in touch,

Sherri Meyer

Sherri Meyer September 20, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Greetings from Auburn, CA

Donna – I love what you are doing here on this Blog, for us Baby Boomers.

Keep in touch,

Sherri Meyer

Judith Stock March 8, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Donna-
You piqued my interest in Norway. Sounds better than going to Alaska. :-)

I read your “My Next Trip.” See you’ve been to Solvang, California. Did you go for “Danish Days?” I went 2 years ago to do the Danish Days story for American Profile. What fun! Can you believe the windmills!

Judith Stock March 8, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Donna-
You piqued my interest in Norway. Sounds better than going to Alaska. :-)

March 9, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Hi Judith,
Thanks for the visit and comment. Funny you should mention Solvang. I’m planning a blog post about my visit for later this month. My visit there involved a road trip with my 80 something mother-in-law. Too bad we missed Danish Days.

MyKidsEatSquid June 30, 2012 at 7:49 am

That looks absolutely gorgeous. I have dreamed about traveling in the fjords and via cruise ship sounds like such a convenient way to really experience that area.
MyKidsEatSquid recently posted..Bacon bleu cheese guacamoleMy Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Seeing the fjords on a ship provides a perspective that you just can’t get on land. I’d like to do a combination land and cruise again in the fjords, if there is such a travel product.

March 9, 2009 at 3:08 pm