Boomer Travel Blogs Are Booming

2011/01/11by Donna Hull

donna-hull-freelance-writerFirst baby boomer turns 65 on January 1, 2011. Retiring boomers are ready for travel. How many news headlines like that have you seen in the past couple of weeks? Yes, it’s true – the first boomer has reached retirement age. But I have news for those in the media, boomers are traveling well before the age of 65. We are a vital group unwilling to wait to see the world. We go when we can. And, we write about it.

With the spotlight on baby boomer retirement, you’re sure to see new boomer travel blogs popping up all over the internet. But many boomers have been blogging about travel (and other topics) for quite some time. Although My Itchy Travel Feet officially began in May 2008, I’ve been blogging about my travels in a personal journal for friends and family since January 2006 at Travelblog.org (although I no longer have the time to update it).

But I’m not the only boomer writing travel articles aimed at our peers. Meet some of my cohorts in the baby boomer travel blogging world:

GypsyNesters: Celebrating Life After Kids

Boomers Bill and Veronica celebrated when the last kid moved out, then sold their home to wander the world. At GypsyNesters, laugh your way through videos and blog posts about travel combined with topics on appreciating the empty nest. Top Ten Ways to Scare Your Boomerang Kid Out of the House is my personal favorite.

Midlife Road Trip

Younger baby boomers will relate to the funny travel antics of Rick Griffin and Sandi McKenna at Midlife Road Trip. Their aim? To make the most out of midlife, providing the perfect therapy for a midlife crisis. If the saying “laughing is the best medicine” is true, then you’ve got to watch their travel videos.

The Roaming Boomers

Are you a luxury traveler? Then, you’ll want to read, The Roaming Boomers, an online luxury travel magazine aimed at the boomer generation. Through video and striking photos, David and Carol Porter share their first-hand experiences at luxury resorts, spas and fine dining establishments. Free membership in the Roaming Boomers Rewards Club provides access to exclusive travel deals.

This Ex-Pat Life and Baby Boomers Traveling

Have you thought about selling your worldly goods and relocating to another country? At This Ex-Pat Life, Doris Gallan advises boomers on the realities of living abroad. The prolific writer also pens a second blog: Baby Boomers Traveling. And, she’s currently on a U. S. book tour publicizing [amazonify]160910630X::text::::The Boomers’ Guide to Going Abroad to Travel*Live*Give*Learn[/amazonify].

Boomer Trippin’

Alan and I can relate to Marla and Bill, mid-west residents who write Boomer Trippin’. Like us, they are in a second marriage filled with fun and travel. Through he said/she said accounts of their experiences, they provide insight to boomers interested in value-oriented travel of all kinds.

The Boomers and Seniors Travel Blog

Boyd Lemon lives the ex-pat life in Paris. The travel writer also runs The Boomers and Seniors Travel Blog offering advice on traveling well, economically.  Do you remember his guest post for us about budget travel in Paris?

GlamourGranny Travels

Can grannies be glamorous? Of course they can. Inka, a former international attorney turned travel writer, encourages boomer grannies to be glamorous as well as cultured travelers at GlamourGranny Travels.

Of course there are also travel bloggers out there who just happen to be baby boomers.

• At What A Trip, travel writer Nancy D. Brown shares her travel adventures. She also writes about horseback riding vacations at Writing Horseback.
  • If you’re a fan of literary travel writing, Babara Weibel, Hole in the Donut, won’t disappoint with her articles about cultural travel throughout the world.
  • Boomer environmentalists will want to check out Chezsven, where Alexandra Grabbe shares stories of running a green bed and breakfast on Cape Cod.
  • Vera Marie Badertscher is technically a senior, not a baby boomer, but her blog, A Traveler’s Library is a delightful read for book lovers who also travel.

And, since I’m writing about boomers who blog, I can’t leave out a couple of my favorites.

• I learn something new about staying healthy every time I read Sheryl Kraft at womenTalk: Midlife Matters.
  • Meredith Resnick offers up sage advice on life with aging parents at More Than Caregiving.
  • At The Fabulous GeezerSisters, Ruth Pennebaker dishes up slices of boomer life with insightful writing that will make you laugh and cry.
  • And when I just want to read an irreverant look at the life of a baby boomer, I click on over to GoingLikeSixty.

To find more baby boomer blogs, check out the Top 12 Baby Boomer Blogs for 2010 (yes, My Itchy Travel Feet is at the top of the list) as ranked by Successful Entrepreneur, a blog for boomers starting an encore career.

Do you have a favorite travel blog written by a baby boomer? Post a comment to let us know. I’m sure that there are many more out there. And, stay tuned. This article did not include baby boomer sites that have travel blogs or travel channels. Look for an upcoming article listing my favorite boomer sites.

Disclosure: I have included an Amazon link to The Boomers’ Guide to Going Abroad for your convenience. However My Itchy Travel Feet does receive a small percentage for purchases made at Amazon.com.

Skraft January 11, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Donna, Thanks for this terrific round-up of so many blogs that are new-to-me. I see now what I’ve been missing! And thanks, too, for including MidlifeMatters. As a boomer, I enjoy writing about health, as it gives me the opportunity to educate myself along with all my readers. Keep up the good work!

January 12, 2011 at 1:46 am

Sheryl, you’re health blog presents baby boomer health matters in an
unbiased manner. I hope to become more healthy by reading it.

Roxanne Hawn January 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Congrats on topping that list. If I might, I’d add my friends from http://www.GoPetFriendly.com. I think of everyone as being my age, but I’m pretty sure at least one of them is technically a boomer. Very soon … they will be entirely unencumbered by real estate and will be on the road full time in an RV with their 2 dogs. I’m just a poor, pathetic Gen Xer, who doesn’t get to travel much, but I try to enjoy (not be jealous) of those of you who can travel.

January 12, 2011 at 1:49 am

Thanks for the introduction to GoPetFriendly. Traveling in an RV with
two dogs will garner some fun travel posts. Hang in there, Miss Gen
Xer, your day will come.

Barbara Weibel January 12, 2011 at 3:13 am

Donna – thank you SO much for including me! Other than being a baby boomer as defined by age, I don’t write specifically for or about baby boomers, so it is a real privilege to be on your list.

January 12, 2011 at 3:21 am

Barbara, your literary posts would encourage any baby boomer traveler
to get off the couch and go see the world. It was a pleasure including
you.

Anonymous January 12, 2011 at 4:30 am

Thanks for including me in your list. What a great selection you have put together! Lots to discover here. One blog you did not mention, that boomers might like, is Time goes by, written by Ronni Bennett. She is a few years too old to be a boomer but what she writes will interest boomers: a look at getting older, written with verve and intelligence.

January 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Hi Sandy. Thanks for telling us about Time Goes By. I’ll definitely
check it out.

January 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Hi Phil. Nice to meet you via the Successful Entrepreneur. I love to
laugh so I’ll be visiting Baby Boomer Baloney for sure.
Congratulations for making #6 on the list of baby boomer blogs for
20102.

The Roaming Boomers
January 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Donna,

Thank you for your very kind mention, and congratulations on all your success. We absolutely need to do dinner some time soon!

January 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm

You’re welcome. I’m always happy to introduce boomers to valuable
travel resources. We’re up for that dinner any time.

AuthenticSeacoast January 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Congratulations on your #1 ranking. A well-deserved recognition. Thank you for putting this list together as there are a number of sites we were not aware of. Here’s to a great year of boomer travel ahead and to an opportunity to welcome you on the Nova Scotia Authentic Seacoast.

January 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Thanks, Doug. We’re hoping this travel year brings us to Nova Scotia.
Time will tell.

Vera Marie Badertscher January 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for including this war baby along with you post-war babies. I hope that the reading and travel experience cuts across generations.
And how wonderful that you were recognized as the best baby boomer blogger–or tongue twister?
Congratulations for a well deserved ranking!

January 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Thanks, Vera. High praise coming from one of last year’s Travel
Bloggies finalists.

Healthy Aging January 15, 2011 at 11:03 am

I agree with AuthenticSeacoast, this list is a great utility. I’ve read a couple of blogs so far but cannot wait to dive into the rest. :)
Thanks for the share!
Sam

January 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Hi Sam, hope you enjoy our baby boomer travel blogging list. Be sure
to come back here for more active travel fun.

Freda Gore January 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for sharing great post

Anonymous
January 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Donna – what a super list! I am fans of many of them already – even though I’m not a Boomer! I’m traveling with Rick Griffen this summer in the Mongol Rally across Europe and Asia. We are all over 40 yrs old and I have a feeling our maturity will help us in the end. I expect that Rick will keep us laughing the whole time!

January 19, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Sherry, I can’t wait to read about your adventures with Rick in the
Mongol Rally. Talk about adventure!

January 20, 2011 at 1:24 am

Thanks, Anil. You’re right, the internet is filled with great travel
blogs. I’m sure that we’ll be discovering many more baby boomers out
there writing travel blogs in 2011. In my opinion, the more the merrier.

January 20, 2011 at 1:35 am

Thanks for the kind words, Suzi. Any of our baby boomer readers who
are planning a trip to northern California would be wise to check out
your site for travel ideas.

Charles McCool January 20, 2011 at 3:23 am

Fantastic compilation. I have many boomer attendees in my travel seminars and will refer them to these sources.

January 26, 2011 at 1:56 am

Thanks, Charles. We’ll all be happy for the mentions.

NancydBrown
January 20, 2011 at 6:30 am

Donna,
Congratulations on your number one ranking in the Top 12 Baby Boomer Blogs for 2010.

My Itchy Travel Feet is one of my favorite travel blog, written by one of the hardest working and friendliest boomers I’ve met. Thanks for including me in such wonderful company.

Travel on boomers. What a trip it has been!

January 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Nancy. Glad you enjoy reading My Itchy
Travel Feet.

January 20, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Hi Leigh, I read Hike Bike Travels but didn’t realize that you are a
baby boomer. Great read. Thanks for adding your url to our list.

Marylou
May 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

As a compulsive obsessive 75-year-old traveller (Australian spelling) I have kept journals and photographs which I am now sharing with whoever wants to read them. I’m still learning to blog and have a friend helping me out but intend to take it over and add more photographs. I first left Australia in 1959 flying to London on the Super Constellation, before Jets!! and, in the last 12 months journeyed solo through Laos, Tunisia and Myanmar by public transport and joined a camping expedition through Southern Africa. Please join me. Marylou

May 14, 2013 at 5:33 am

Nice to meet you Marylou. Your travels sound amazing. Good luck with your blog.
Donna Hull recently posted..One Healthy Change a Month: Walking outside 30 minutes a dayMy Profile

Mary Audette February 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Donna- We have just begun our journey; 19 days in, 10 states, over 3000 miles and still loving the adventure.

Jane DeRoche June 16, 2014 at 11:18 am

Inspiring reading. Retirement is only the beginning–not the downhill slide into the end as it was in my parents’ generation. Thanks.