First baby boomer turns 65 on January 1, 2011. Retiring boomers are ready for travel. How many news headlines like that have you seen in the past couple of weeks? Yes, it’s true – the first boomer has reached retirement age. But I have news for those in the media, boomers are traveling well before the age of 65. We are a vital group unwilling to wait to see the world. We go when we can. And, we write about it.
With the spotlight on baby boomer retirement, you’re sure to see new boomer travel blogs popping up all over the internet. But many boomers have been blogging about travel (and other topics) for quite some time. Although My Itchy Travel Feet officially began in May 2008, I’ve been blogging about my travels in a personal journal for friends and family since January 2006 at Travelblog.org (although I no longer have the time to update it).
But I’m not the only boomer writing travel articles aimed at our peers. Meet some of my cohorts in the baby boomer travel blogging world:
GypsyNesters: Celebrating Life After Kids
Boomers Bill and Veronica celebrated when the last kid moved out, then sold their home to wander the world. At GypsyNesters, laugh your way through videos and blog posts about travel combined with topics on appreciating the empty nest. Top Ten Ways to Scare Your Boomerang Kid Out of the House is my personal favorite.
Midlife Road Trip
Younger baby boomers will relate to the funny travel antics of Rick Griffin and Sandi McKenna at Midlife Road Trip. Their aim? To make the most out of midlife, providing the perfect therapy for a midlife crisis. If the saying “laughing is the best medicine” is true, then you’ve got to watch their travel videos.
The Roaming Boomers
Are you a luxury traveler? Then, you’ll want to read, The Roaming Boomers, an online luxury travel magazine aimed at the boomer generation. Through video and striking photos, David and Carol Porter share their first-hand experiences at luxury resorts, spas and fine dining establishments. Free membership in the Roaming Boomers Rewards Club provides access to exclusive travel deals.
This Ex-Pat Life and Baby Boomers Traveling
Have you thought about selling your worldly goods and relocating to another country? At This Ex-Pat Life, Doris Gallan advises boomers on the realities of living abroad. The prolific writer also pens a second blog: Baby Boomers Traveling.
Alan and I can relate to Marla and Bill, mid-west residents who write Boomer Trippin’. Like us, they are in a second marriage filled with fun and travel. Through he said/she said accounts of their experiences, they provide insight to boomers interested in value-oriented travel of all kinds.
The Boomers and Seniors Travel Blog
Boyd Lemon lives the ex-pat life in Paris. The travel writer also runs The Boomers and Seniors Travel Blog offering advice on traveling well, economically. Do you remember his guest post for us about budget travel in Paris?
Can grannies be glamorous? Of course they can. Inka, a former international attorney turned travel writer, encourages boomer grannies to be glamorous as well as cultured travelers at GlamourGranny Travels.
Of course there are also travel bloggers out there who just happen to be baby boomers.
- At What A Trip, travel writer Nancy D. Brown shares her travel adventures. She also writes about horseback riding vacations at Writing Horseback.
- If you’re a fan of literary travel writing, Babara Weibel, Hole in the Donut, won’t disappoint with her articles about cultural travel throughout the world.
- Boomer environmentalists will want to check out Chezsven, where Alexandra Grabbe shares stories of running a green bed and breakfast on Cape Cod.
- Vera Marie Badertscher is technically a senior, not a baby boomer, but her blog, A Traveler’s Library is a delightful read for book lovers who also travel.
And, since I’m writing about boomers who blog, I can’t leave out a couple of my favorites.
- I learn something new about staying healthy every time I read Sheryl Kraft at womenTalk: Midlife Matters.
- Meredith Resnick offers up sage advice on life with aging parents at More Than Caregiving.
- At The Fabulous GeezerSisters, Ruth Pennebaker dishes up slices of boomer life with insightful writing that will make you laugh and cry.
- And when I just want to read an irreverant look at the life of a baby boomer, I click on over to GoingLikeSixty.
To find more baby boomer blogs, check out the Top 12 Baby Boomer Blogs for 2010 (yes, My Itchy Travel Feet is at the top of the list) as ranked by Successful Entrepreneur, a blog for boomers starting an encore career.
Disclosure: I have included an Amazon link to The Boomers’ Guide to Going Abroad for your convenience. However My Itchy Travel Feet does receive a small percentage for purchases made at Amazon.com.