Saturday’s scene: Moon Over Monument Valley

2011/07/23by Donna Hull

monument-valley-sandstone-utah

On a visit to Monument Valley, baby boomers will find plenty of artistic photo opportunities. My chance came when I accompanied Alan on a photography workshop with Jim Altengarten of Exposure36 Photography. The great thing about Jim’s workshops is that he allows spouses to attend for a small fee and he doesn’t mind if they bring a camera along, as long as they don’t ask for instruction. While the real photographers set up their tripods for a photography competition, I stepped out of the way and took this shot.

Have you visited Monument Valley? Post a comment to share your favorite experience. Next time, Alan and I would like to hire a Navajo guide for a back-country adventure in this beautiful corner of the Navajo Nation.

New here? We hope you’ll come again. To keep up with us, subscribe to our posts, sign up for our monthly newsletter or keep up with baby boomer travel news and deals at the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook.

Barbara Weibel July 23, 2011 at 11:58 am

I love the fact that Alan is the real photographer in the family but YOU took this gorgeous shot!

July 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Thanks, Barbara. Alan’s been taking a little time off to unpack his Montana office while mine looks like a wreck. Next week, I’m putting him back to work on Saturday’s scene.

Sandy2118 July 24, 2011 at 2:17 am

Beautiful photo.  Yes, I visited Monument Valley when my kids were small, with my French husband. I remember being upset by the Native Americans in pick-up trucks who seemed so angry  with the tourists invading their land.

July 24, 2011 at 2:23 am

Sandy, thanks for sharing. The Native Americans have now learned how to control access to their lands and they make you pay. Good or bad, that’s the way it is.

Janett Brown July 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm

This is really wonderful!

July 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Thanks, Janet!

Vera Marie Badertscher July 24, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Monument Valley is SO photographable (if that’s a word?) but you managed to capture a very different view that almost looks like an abstract paining. Fantastic work, Donna.

July 24, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Thanks, Vera. There are lots of ways to look at how to photograph Monument Valley. You just have to think out of the box!

Mark H July 26, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Great light on that ochre red rock.

AJ - Fantastic Travels July 27, 2011 at 6:14 am

Hello Barbara I’ve never been to Monument Valley, but looking at your photo, it looks fabulous!  Isn’t it in Utah?

Heather on her travels
August 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Lovely photo – I wonder if it was just lucky that the light was so beautiful or did you use any special settings?
Heather on her travels recently posted..My daughter’s community project in the mountains of NepalMy Profile