Have you been to Helena?

2012/07/08by Donna Hull

Alan and I are headed out on another boomer road trip. Where are we going? We’ll be exploring Helena, Montana. It’s not quite in our backyard, but almost. The good folks at the Helena Tourism Business Improvement District have invited us to discover their region of Big Sky Country. We’re excited to be out exploring again and marking another big checkmark off our boomer bucket list—fly fishing.

Where will we stay in Helena?

What will we be doing in Helena?

And, ride the Great Northern Carousel, check out the Exploration Works Museum of Science & Culture and visit the State Capitol Building, Original Governor’s Mansion and Cathedral of St. Helena. Whew!

And of course we’ll discover the city’s nightlife with visits to Alive@Five and performances by Plena Libre at the Myrna Loy Center and Shakespeare at the Civic Center.

Which restaurants will we try in Helena?

And, you know us, we’ll be looking for a driving adventure on the way to all of this fun. Look for a report about our drive on Forest Road 200.

While on our trip, we’ll be posting daily photos and remarks at the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook, Twitter and on our Exploring Montana Pinterest board. Be sure to follow us. You don’t want to miss any of the fun!

Do you have any tips for visiting Helena, Montana? Be sure to let us know by posting a comment. Alan and I just might take your advice.

Disclosure: The Helena Tourism Improvement District is providing our travel experience. As always, the opinions are our own.

New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for travel specials, news and fun.

Jonathan Look, Jr.
July 9, 2012 at 8:44 am

Never been to Montana. One of only four US states I haven’t visited. Hoping to make it and be blogging about it this summer!
Jonathan Look, Jr. recently posted..My Minimalist LifestyleMy Profile

July 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hi Jonathan, give us a shout if you visit our little corner of Montana.

July 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

You guys get around! Very cool that you get to experience so many great places.
Jane Boursaw recently posted..Uggie the Dog Plants Paw Prints at Grauman’s Chinese TheatreMy Profile

July 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Jane, Alan and I were just talking about that. Writing our ebook has reminded us of the travel that we’ve experienced in the last 11 years. We often wish that we had met and begun our travels earlier. There’s so much to see. I don’t think we’re going to get to all of the destinations still on our to travel list.

Ian Scott July 26, 2012 at 7:35 am

Hope you had a great trip! While I do a lot of fly fishing myself, a trip out to Montana is on my bucket list. One of these days!

Ron Whitaker February 15, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I’ve never been to Montana, but am dying to go there!

Ever since seeing “A River Runs Through It,” I’ve hungered to visit the western part of the state. From the images I’ve seen, it simply looks beautiful.

I really want to visit Bozeman and Missoula.

Any recommendations for things to see and do in those areas?

February 16, 2013 at 8:35 am

Well, Ron, Alan and I live an hour south of Missoula so I’d recommend a visit to the Bitterroot Valley for fly fishing in the Bitterroot River and hiking in the Bitterroot Mountains. And, of course, Glacier is only a couple of hours north of Missoula plus the beautiful Flathead Lake. I’m not as familiar with Bozeman but it’s a jumping off point for exploring the Absaroka Wilderness and Yellowstone National Park to the south.