Alan and I are headed out on another boomer road trip. Where are we going? We’ll be exploring Helena, Montana. It’s not quite in our backyard, but almost. The good folks at the Helena Tourism Business Improvement District have invited us to discover their region of Big Sky Country. We’re excited to be out exploring again and marking another big checkmark off our boomer bucket list—fly fishing.
Where will we stay in Helena?
- Sanders Bed and Breakfast: an award-winning bed and breakfast located in a restored mansion that’s loaded with history.
- Best Western Premier Great Northern: reminiscent of lodging during the Great Northern Railroad days, this is only one of 10 Premier Best Western properties in the U.S.
What will we be doing in Helena?
- Take a walk in Tizer Botanic Gardens
- Discover Montana history on a historical walking tour with the Montana Historical Society
- Cool off on the Missouri River with a Gates of the Mountains Boat Tour
- Learn to fly fish on a river float and fly fishing adventure provided by Cross Currents
- Ride the Last Chance Tour Train for an overview of Helena
- Hike Mt. Helena’s 1906 Trail
- Visit the Helena Farmer’s Market
And of course we’ll discover the city’s nightlife with visits to Alive@Five and performances by Plena Libre at the Myrna Loy Center and Shakespeare at the Civic Center.
Which restaurants will we try in Helena?
- Montana City Grill and Saloon in Montana City on the way to our walk in Tizer Botanic Gardens
- Lucca’s Italian Restaurant on the Walking Mall in Helena
- Silver Star Steak Company at the Great Northern Town Center in Helena
And, you know us, we’ll be looking for a driving adventure on the way to all of this fun. Look for a report about our drive on Forest Road 200.
While on our trip, we’ll be posting daily photos and remarks at the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook, Twitter and on our Exploring Montana Pinterest board. Be sure to follow us. You don’t want to miss any of the fun!
Do you have any tips for visiting Helena, Montana? Be sure to let us know by posting a comment. Alan and I just might take your advice.
Disclosure: The Helena Tourism Improvement District is providing our travel experience. As always, the opinions are our own.
New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for travel specials, news and fun.