Saturday’s scene: Cruising above the Arctic Circle

2012/11/10by Donna Hull

cruising-the-adventfjorden

Cruising the Adventfjorden is a beautiful ride!

Cruising the Adventfjorden is one reason Alan and I wanted to sail beyond the Arctic Circle with Regent Seven Seas Voyager. After a day spent hiking Plateau Mountain in Lonbyearbyen, Norway, we stood on the deck watching the mountains and glaciers of Adventfjorden as Voyager sailed toward the Arctic ice pack. Alan and I were enjoying a glass of champagne before dinner when this stunning scene attracted our attention. We couldn’t resist slipping outside into the chilly June evening to take one more photo.

Most ships that cruise the Norwegian fjords stay to a more southerly route. Our itinerary not only included the typical route, but also extended further north to Tromsoe, the Svalbard area (including cruising the Adventfjorden) and beyond. Unfortunately, Voyager never made it to the Arctic ice pack. We were within 30 minutes of our goal when a passenger required an evacuation due to a severe health emergency. So, Captain Dag Dvergastein made the only choice that he could. Voyager turned around and steamed toward a meeting with a medical evacuation helicopter. Instead of watching the Arctic ice on a mid-summer Norwegian night, we witnessed the bravery of helicopter and ship’s crew as they negotiated rough seas to airlift the patient to the nearest hospital.

The next time Alan and I find ourselves in this part of the world, we hope it’s on an  active travel adventure exploring the National Parks of Svalbard by zodiac.

Have you enjoyed cruising the Advenfjorden? Post a comment to share your experience with us. We’ere looking forward to a return visit.

Mark H November 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’ve not been to the Arctic (thougn have travelled the ANtarctic) and am amazed by the scale of the mountains and glaciers. It is a shame that a health evacuation caused the ship to miss the ice pack but it looks like you got some spectacular views going on the lovely photo above.
Mark H recently posted..A Camel Safari Around Uluru (Australia)My Profile

sheryl November 12, 2012 at 10:17 am

I guess watching a helicopter make a rescue is exciting, sort of…but not as exciting as it would have been to see the ice pack. Love the photo!
sheryl recently posted..A Hurricane: Teachable MomentsMy Profile

Brette
November 12, 2012 at 10:19 am

I hope you make it all the way there next time!
Brette recently posted..A Trip to IndiaMy Profile

Alexandra November 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I have never been that far north. My husband used to live in Kiruna, Sweden, and journeyed to Norway where he partook of similar adventures, but never from a cruise ship. That must have been amazing for you.
Alexandra recently posted..We’ve Moved!My Profile

Heather
November 13, 2012 at 8:22 am

That sure is a stunning photograph. I’ve not been to this locale.
Heather recently posted..Explore the Recycled Spirits of Iron Sculpture ParkMy Profile

Living Large November 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

Love the photography, which inspires the imagination. How fun!
Living Large recently posted..We all Lost on Labeling InitiativeMy Profile

Vera Marie Badertscher
November 13, 2012 at 11:35 am

How frustrating to be so close and not quite make it. Sincerely hope you’ll get a second chance!

MyKidsEatSquid November 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm

What a beautiful part of the world. Someday, I’d love to cruise through the fjords.
MyKidsEatSquid recently posted..9 Secrets to a Really Crummy Kitchen Cabinet Paint JobMy Profile