Saturday’s scene: the Rudesheim Christmas market

2012/12/22by Donna Hull

Updated 12.01.2013

rudesheim-christmas-market

Entrance to the Rudesheim Christmas market

The Rudesheim Christmas market more than met my expectations of a Christmas market scene in Germany. When Alan and I walked from the AmaWaterways Amacello into the small German village, we discovered a winter tableau worthy of the front cover of a Christmas card. After crossing some rail tracks near the pier, we climbed the hilly, cobblestone lanes that wound their way up the hill from the Rhine River. Snow crunched underfoot as we browsed the outdoor booths resembling chalets that displayed tourist trinkets, a few handcrafted items, international goods and lots of tempting foods. Glüwein stalls sold cups of steaming, mulled wine—the perfect beverage for staying warm. And the scent of live evergreen decorations mingled with the odors of food and wine creating a holiday smell that I will not soon forget.

Our day had begun with Amacello cruising through the Rhine River Gorge, where castles guard hillsides that overlook charming villages. This area of the Rhine is a UNESCO World Heritage site (as is Rudesheim) and well worth a return visit.

By the time Amacello had docked, Alan and I were ready to explore on our own, choosing to skip the narrated walking tour provided by AmaWaterways. A crowd of mostly German visitors increased throughout the Sunday afternoon and soon the streets were packed tight with shoppers, children, strollers and family pets. The scene became a bit too hectic for us, so we ducked out the side entrance to the village, which is where Alan took this photo, before walking back down to the ship.

To read more about this trip of a lifetime, visit the Rhine River Christmas Market Cruise page.

Have you visited Rudesheim? Post a comment to share your experiences. Alan and I would like to return to sample the wines of the region and dine in one of the many restaurants we passed on our walk through the Rudesheim Christmas market.

Vera Marie Badertscher
December 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Worthy of a Christmas card, indeed! and that’s exactly what I would do with it!
Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..Peace on EarthMy Profile

December 28, 2012 at 7:55 am

Glad you like the photo, Vera. Maybe we’ll use it on next year’s card. We didn’t send any this year.

Jan Ross
December 23, 2012 at 8:19 am

We were in Rudesheim with AMA as well, last November. What a wonderful trip. My husband especially enjoyed the Rudesheim coffee!
Jan Ross recently posted..Quit Yer Crab Inn or Possibly the Best Beach House in the Entire WorldMy Profile

December 28, 2012 at 7:53 am

Yes, Jan, we had Rudesheim coffee as the Amacello cruised the Rhine River gorge. It was a nice touch to a scenic morning.

Jackie Smith
December 24, 2012 at 9:42 am

A beautiful photo. Merry Christmas to you and Alan!
Jackie Smith recently posted..Christmas: Finding Saint NicholasMy Profile

December 28, 2012 at 7:51 am

Thanks, Jackie. Happy holidays to you as well.

Rashad Pharaon
December 8, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Thank you for this nostalgic reminder of home – nothing close to this where I’m currently traveling in Saudi Arabia. Especially the mulled wine!
Rashad Pharaon recently posted..6 Cities Where Digital Nomads Live On The CheapMy Profile

Robert Fowler
December 9, 2013 at 8:22 am

I saw the Christmas Market in Nürnberg Germany many years ago when I was in the Army in Germany. I would like to go back but my wife does not like cold weather. Oh well.
Robert Fowler recently posted..Baby Boomer News – Issue 3My Profile

Sheryl December 19, 2013 at 6:34 pm

What a lovely photo – happy holidays to you and Alan!