Flying in a Hot Air Balloon Over Bluff, Utah

2010/01/26by Donna Hull

Updated 01.01.2013

bluff-balloon-festival

Hot Air Balloon in the Red Rocks of Utah

When Alan and I attended the 2010 Bluff Balloon Festival, we enjoyed a boomer trip to Utah that included our favorite activities—photography and exploring. But what we really longed to do was fly in a hot air balloon.

During check-in at our accommodations, Desert Rose Inn, I mentioned to innkeeper Cindy Tumeh that I was a writer covering the Bluff Balloon Festival for several online markets.

“Would you like to go up in a balloon?” Cindy asked.

“Absolutely!” I replied.

Cindy made a call and our early morning balloon ride was arranged for the next day. Alan and I would ride in Koshare Gallup during the Hare and Coyote Race. Our balloon would be the hare that the rest of the balloons (some 20+) chased.

At 6:45 a.m. the next morning, we followed Cindy to the Bluff Community Center for the pilots meeting where we met Bill Lee, pilot of Koshare Gallup balloon. When he led us outside to the parking lot to begin setting up the balloon, we quickly learned that, at balloon rallies, riders become part of the crew. In the semi-dawn, with the temperature in the low teens, the crew helped Bill prepare the basket before laying it on its side. After the balloon was stretched out in the snow-covered parking lot, Alan and another crew member had the freezing job of holding the balloon open as a fan blew cold air into it. Then, Bill turned on the gas burner, which added hot air so that the balloon would rise. Once the balloon inflated, the basket was tilted upright. We were ready to fly.

To get into the balloon, each rider placed a foot into the foothold, then swung a leg over. Alan and I found that our boomer legs didn’t have that much stretch so Bill pulled our legs over the edge and assisted us into the basket. Then, he explained the rules:

Do what I say.

Don’t be offended if I get too close, we’re in tight quarters.

Don’t touch the lines.

Tell me about any power lines or obstacles that you see. Repeat until I acknowledge you.

Don’t lean out of the basket.

Keep knees bent and soft for the landing.

Don’t get out of the basket until I instruct you to do so.

bluff-balloon-festival-koshare-gallup-balloon

Koshare Gallup Balloon

With five of us in the basket, as well as equipment, space was extremely tight. The whoosh of the gas burner alternated with complete silence. Well, except for: “Wow this is great.” “Did you see that?” “Bill, we’re coming awfully close to that bluff in front of us.” “Did you get a photograph of our shadow, Alan?”

After almost two hours viewing snowy Utah from the air, we bent our knees and prepared to land on scrubby desert next to the highway. With a soft thud, the ride was over. The chase crew had been watching from the ground, following our movements. Once they reached us, they put their weight on the balloon basket, keeping it on the ground, as Bill directed each of the passengers on when we could exit the basket.

Packing away the balloon took just as much effort as preparing it to fly. The heavy, bulky balloon was stretched out on the ground before being folded away into a large canvas bag. Then the burner was disassembled from the basket. All of the equipment needed to be packed into a trailer that the crew placed as close as possible. But we still weren’t finished.

“Was this your first hot air balloon flight?” Bill asked.

“Yes,” Alan and I said.

“We’ll have a ceremony once we’re back at the parking lot,” Bill answered.

alan-donna-hull-bluff-balloon-festival

We’re initiated into the hot air balloon fraternity.

When we returned to the community center, Bill conducted our ceremony. But I can’t tell you about it. It’s a secret. However, it does involve kneeling on the ground and drinking champagne without any hands. That’s all I’m saying. When you take your first hot air balloon ride, you’ll find out for yourself.

If you’re planning a winter adventure in southeastern Utah, be sure to put the Bluff Balloon Festival on your itinerary. But, remember, it’s a rally for balloon enthusiasts. You cannot pay to fly in the balloons. The only way to hitch a ride is to become a paid sponsor or crew for a balloon team. Most balloonists bring their own crew but check with the rally director to see if there’s a need.

And, if you’re looking for a new hobby, consider hot air ballooning. Becoming a pilot is a long process, and the equipment is expensive; but you’ll be traveling and socializing with friendly people while seeing amazing sights. As with most hobbies that take time and money, you’ll be meeting lots of baby boomers.

Do you attend hot air balloon rallies? Post a comment to tell me about them. Alan and I will be adding a few to our list. They make great photographic adventures.

Thanks to Bill Lee of Koshare Gallup Balloon, for providing this baby boomer adventure.

Sheryl January 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Incredible, Donna! You are a brave soul. I've had the opportunity to do this – but chickened out. Have to reconsider now…especially because I need to find out what the secret ceremony and the champagne drinking is all about!

jenniferminer January 26, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Wow! What a fun video – you guys clearly had a gret time up there. …Now I'm curious about hands-free Champagne ceremony. :)

NancydBrown
January 26, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Nice job, Donna on your first video!
It is an amazing experience to go up in a hot air balloon, isn't it?
I'm afraid of heights, yet I had no troubles going up in a balloon in the Napa Valley.
We had warmer weather. However, we didn't have the champagne initiation like you experienced. Simply champagne and strawberries with a mini brunch.

Anil January 26, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I never been in a hot air balloon and this makes me want to go even more!

almostslowfood January 27, 2010 at 2:51 am

I'm so afraid of heights, but I bet that is a beautiful thing to do!

MyKidsEatSquid January 27, 2010 at 6:37 am

What a great experience. Unfortunately my one and only trip in a hot air balloon didn't end so smoothly. Our basket crashed into the brush and our party ended up spilling out. Still, amazing views from the air!

marthaandme January 27, 2010 at 6:09 pm

This is amazing – thanks for sharing! I couldn't believe how quiet it was when you were in the air. I've always wondered what this would be like and now I know!

heatheronhertravels January 28, 2010 at 8:30 am

Amazing experience – I'll have to flash my blogging credentials next time I'm at the Bristol balloon festival to try and hitch a ride. I always thought ballooning was a summer thing, not for the snowy days – it must have been cold up there. Like the video. Here's one of the Bristol balloon glow http://www.heatheronhertravels.com/ive-been-to-

Sandy2118 January 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I really enjoyed THAT RIDE! I don't think I would ever have the guts to go up in a balloon, so I'm glad to have experienced this vicariously. Thanks so much. Great that your innkeeper could help you out.

sarahhenry January 28, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Donna, I'd watch the video BUT I have a terrible fear of heights, uncontrolled speed, and falling out of the sky.
(Trust me, I'm a nightmare to fly with.)

So while in theory this looks wonderful, do you think there's any hope for someone like me taking up ballooning?

sarahhenry January 28, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Donna, I'd watch your video, which I'm sure is wonderful, BUT i have a terrible fear of heights, uncontrolled speed, and falling out of the sky. (Trust me, I'm a nightmare to fly with.)

While ballooning sounds and looks wonderful in theory, I wonder if there's any hope for folks like me taking up this pastime?

January 29, 2010 at 2:05 am

Sarah, I'm afraid of heights. But I've discovered that it only applies to when my feet are planted on the ground. This wasn't scary at all. Well, except for when the pilot intentionally scraped the basket up the side of a butte. But that was on purpose to keep control of the balloon. Later, I was pleasantly surprised at our gentle landing.

sarahhenry January 29, 2010 at 4:58 am

hi donna,
good to know. am trying to conquer some of my fears/phobias in my old age:)

and i hope my comment wasn't too personal or far afield..as we all help each
other out with “social networking” i'm trying to make my comments feel
organic and authentic…rather than just: great idea! it's nice to get any
comments, of course, but i'm sure you get what i'm getting at,

cheers & thanks for taking the time to send a personal note. v. sweet.

-sarah

Stephanie - Wasabimon January 30, 2010 at 8:15 am

I have never, ever been in a hot air balloon, but it's on my bucket list! I can't think of a more gorgeous place to try this than Utah. I lived there for a year. What a gorgeous state.

Susan January 30, 2010 at 7:05 pm

That looks like fun! I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico for six years and the Int'l Balloon Fiesta eah October was a major highlight of our year.

kris bordessa February 3, 2010 at 8:06 pm

This is simply gorgeous! I'm not a fan of high places, but I've toyed with taking a balloon ride. I think I might prefer to do it sans snow, though!