Saturday’s scene: Standing Tall in Sitka

2011/05/21by Donna Hull

alaska-cruise-excursion-totem-sitka

Here’s an Alaska cruise excursion that active boomers can do on their own. When our Regent cruise stopped in Sitka, Alan and I walked to Sitka National Historical Park, Alaska’s oldest national park. After viewing artisan workshops and exhibits, we explored the Totem Trail. Have you visited Sitka? Post a comment to share your favorite adventure. We hope to visit again for more baby boomer adventures.

nopotcooking
May 23, 2011 at 6:12 pm

My daughter and I walked this trail. It was a bit of a hike from the cruise ship tender, but it was a great place to visit. The town is really cute too with lots of little shops. Be sure to step into the Russian orthodox church while there. They also sell reindeer hot dogs on the street if you are adventurous, and elk burgers!

May 23, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Sitka is my favorite Alaska cruise port.

May 24, 2011 at 1:28 am

A totem pole! How cool. Haven’t been to Sitka, but I always love seeing Totem poles. They’re sort of other-worldly. Plus, that forest in your photo looks like it’s out of Lord of the Rings.

May 24, 2011 at 1:33 am

Jane, there was an entire trail of totem poles in the forest. We walked on a bridge over the water (lots of dead salmon from spawning) and on to a birds of prey sanctuary. I enjoyed that this was something that we could do on our own rather than on a planned excursion.

Living Large May 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I haven’t been, but Alaska is definitely on my bucket list. My dad was stationed there during WWII and really loved it!

May 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Kerry, was he on Kodiak Island? Lots of WWII history there. Cruise ships don’t usually visit; but ours did when we cruised from Vancouver to Singapore. We stopped at Dutch Harbor, too.

MyKidsEatSquid May 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’m with Jane–totem poles seem just magical. I’ve never visited Alaska even though my mom grew up there. I enjoy reading your post because it gives me a taste of what it’s like.

May 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Your mom grew up in Alaska? She must have some interesting stories to tell.

Wayne Jordan September 6, 2011 at 7:26 am

I cruised up & down the Inside Passage for months as a staff member of the HAL Zuiderdam. I have always regretted not taking the time to go to Sitka when my contract ended. I often heard passengers who had travelled overland and boarded in Skagway say how much they enjoyed Sitka.
Nice post; love the header!
Wayne Jordan recently posted..Raining Moose in Ketchikan AlaskaMy Profile

September 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

Wayne, you’ll just have to return to your old stomping grounds in Alaska for a look at Sitka.