Saturday’s scene: What’s On Your Boomer Bucket List?

2011/12/31by Donna Hull

american-safari-baird-glacier-hike

Hiking on Baird Glacier

Do you have a boomer bucket travel list? Somehow the topic always comes up when Alan and I are on a cruise. We sit on our balcony sipping a cup of coffee as our ship sails the ocean, like we did this morning on the Silver Cloud, dreaming about where we would like to go next.

Of course, if you are a long-time reader of My Itchy Travel Feet, you know that a cruise to Antarctica on Silversea’s Silver Explorer is at the very top of my list. Also, as a lover of all things Christmas, I’ve always wanted to visit Germany’s Christmas Markets. I’ll be checking that one off after our AMA Waterways river cruise in December 2012.

What do you think is at the top of Alan’s list? If you guessed photographing the Northern Lights on a winter trip to Norway, you are correct. Alan also has his eye out on a whale watching adventure cruise in the Sea of Cortez. And both of us are eager to see the polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba.

Closer to home, Alan and I are hoping to see a grizzly bear in Glacier National Park this summer — from a safe distance. We also want to explore the wild scenery of the Magruder Corridor in the Bitterroot Mountains along the Montana-Idaho border — a four-wheel-drive adventure that will take us way off-the-beaten-path.

What does 2012 hold for you? Post a comment to share what’s on your boomer bucket list. We’re always looking for new travel ideas.

New here? Like what you see? Subscribe to our monthly travel newsletter for boomers for exclusive specials and more travel fun.

Heather on her travels
December 31, 2011 at 3:39 am

My dreams are all to go to hot places when it’s cold in England although there is something very cheering about a Christmas market
Heather on her travels recently posted..The Christmas Film in Gothenburg – videoMy Profile

Nancy December 31, 2011 at 10:04 am

I would say that a cruise to Antarctica on Silversea’s Silver Explorer is at the top of my list, too, Donna. When are we going :-)?
Nancy recently posted..Favorite Travel Photo 0f 2011My Profile

January 10, 2012 at 8:04 am

Nancy, I’d say we should book our passage before we’re too old to climb out of zodiacs. I keep telling Alan that we should hurry. The only problem is the cost of that particular voyage. Lots of Moola!

Barbara Weibel December 31, 2011 at 11:56 am

#1 has to be seeing the Northern Lights, but am also itching to do Tibet, Myanmar and Ethiopia. Then, there’s Greece and Turkey and Egypt….oh, now see what you started. So many places,so little time!
Barbara Weibel recently posted..Down for the Count in Chugchilan, EcuadorMy Profile

January 10, 2012 at 8:05 am

Tibet and Myanmar are on my list, as well as Greece.

Kris
January 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Both of my maternal grandfathers were from the Azore Islands. Exploring Portugal is high on my list of must see locations. I’d want to stay for several weeks, though, if I can be picky.
Kris recently posted..January Challenge: Cut Your Energy UsageMy Profile

January 10, 2012 at 8:10 am

My daughter and her boyfriend spent time on an independent visit to Portugal. They loved it and want to go back. It’s high on our list, too. Just think of all the family history that you could dig up.

Kristine Drake
January 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Greetings from Norway!
Your welcome to visit us in Bergen and we will show you the great fjords before you climb to see the Northern Light!
I just went to Vienna on a fabulous trip listening to opera and classical music. The great tradition of the Christmas markets are also in Austria. Visit my blog and read for yourself!

Sailing in Croatia is on our list next fall!
Love your blog, Kristine

January 10, 2012 at 7:54 am

Nice to meet you, Kristine. We’ve sailed in the fjords several years ago, including a 4th of July stop in Bergen. http://myitchytravelfeet.com/2008/07/04/spend-an-active-day-in-bergen-norway/
Your sailing trip in Croatia sounds fun, can’t wait to read about it. I’ll be checking out your boomer blog.

Sherry Ott
January 8, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Funny – I just sort of my first list of travel experiences I hope to have – but have yet to post it. We have some similarities such as northern lights and antarctica! I also really want to live in South America for a few months and take dancing lessons! Not sure if I will fit it in this year or next – but here’s to hoping!
Sherry Ott recently posted..Hawaii From Above PhotographyMy Profile

January 10, 2012 at 7:34 am

Tango lessons in South America! I’m game. I’ll be looking forward to reading your posts.

AnitaMac January 31, 2012 at 2:27 pm

As a lover of all things Christmas – you have to check out Prague. The Christmas Markets are out of this world! You won’t be disappointed! Northern Lights in Norway and the polar bears in Manitoba sound great too – also on my bucketlist!
AnitaMac recently posted..Monday Morning Photo – Antigua’s Galley Bay CottageMy Profile

February 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Hi Anita, thanks for the tip on Prague Christmas Markets. We’re putting that on our list.