Saturday’s scene: finding paradise on Iles de Pins

2012/06/02by Donna Hull

Updated 02.12.2013

iles-de-pins-paradise

Beach and lagoon at Iles de Pins, New Caledonia

Close your eyes. When I say, “think of a tropical paradise,” is this the scene that comes to mind? Alan and I discovered the idyllic beach setting on a cruise excursion when we sailed the South Pacific on Seabourn Odyssey. This tropical scene wasn’t visible when the ship anchored outside the reef at Iles de Pins in New Caledonia. It took a tender ride and short walk across the island before we discovered the lagoon with trees that shaded the sandy beach. After spreading out towels provided by the ship, we spent a few brief hours alternating between sitting on the sand and wading in the warm water. A gentle breeze rustling through low-slung tree branches, no commercialism and sea green water that turned turquoise then indigo blue —Iles de Pins was as close as I’ve ever come to my vision of a tropical paradise.

NBC recently featured Dr. Beach’s 2012 list of the world’s best beaches. Iles de Pins wasn’t on it but plenty of my other favorites were, including Beachwalker Park, one of the beaches at Kiawah Island. Do you have a favorite beach that says paradise to you? Post a comment to share it with us. We promise not to tell.

Kathy Mendes
June 2, 2012 at 7:47 am

Wow, Iles de Pins a great beach! Love the shadows of the trees on the sand. Great shot! Although I have been to many nice beaches my favorite beach has to be on Lankayan Island off Sabah, Malaysia. The resort spreads out along the white sand beach where the water is blue-aqua with baby sharks swimming in the shallows, and where turtles drag themselves up the beach to lay their eggs.
Kathy Mendes recently posted..Back in the Water AgainMy Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Kathy, your description of Lankayan Island sounds ideal. I hope we get a chance to visit there one day. Watching the turtles would be a treat. I’m not so sure about the baby sharks.

Mark H June 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Looks like a piece of heaven. The water is wonderfully clean.
Mark H recently posted..Games Around the World: Sepak TakrawMy Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Mark, Iles de Pins was amazing. I’d love to go back.

Amy Hagerup
June 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Now that’s my kind of place! I love beautiful beaches and this pretty much is the top of my list! One of my favorite beaches is our own Hilton Head Island! I love South Carolina beaches.

July 9, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Hilton Head has beautiful beaches too. We love the South Carolina coast!

Elle of SOLO FEMALE NOMAD
June 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

I must say, that is exactly what comes to mind when I think of paradise. Beautiful!!
Elle of SOLO FEMALE NOMAD recently posted..Wanderlust? Vagabonding? – How About “Existential Migration?”My Profile

July 9, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Elle, we must be picturing the same paradise.

Jonathan Look, Jr.
February 24, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Wow! This looks amazing! DId you feel like you got enough shore time?
Jonathan Look, Jr. recently posted..Farewell to My FatherMy Profile