One healthy change a month: losing 1 pound a month

2013/03/08by Donna Hull

stretching-health-change-month

Lose 1 pound a month

Welcome to March and the second in our series of making one healthy change a month in 2013. Yes, we’re tackling the task of losing weight for March. In the spirit of slow and steady change, let’s focus on losing 1 pound a month. That’s doable, don’t you agree? By the end of the year, we’ll have lost 10 pounds.

What does losing 1 pound a month have to do with travel? According to Dr. Oz, losing just ten pounds will “lower your blood pressure, reduce your risk for a stroke, ward off dementia, lower your risk for uterine and breast cancer, and lower your cholesterol up to 10%.” And, all those changes equal to a healthier you, which means many more years of active travel.

Why just 1 pound a month, why not lose the ten pounds once and for all? You can lose as much as you want on our challenge, but here’s my theory:  if we lose one pound and keep it off for a month, there’s a much greater chance we’ll keep the next pound that we lose off and so on. In the process of this slow weight loss, we’re developing new habits that will help keep the weight off—for good.

Move more, eat less, cut out sugary drinks and deserts is dieting advice that we’ve all read about or heard from our doctors. And, of course, there’s a plethora of “do this, don’t do that” in today’s weight loss industry—some of it good, some of it downright dangerous.  I’m no nutritionist, exercise guru or medical expert; so, I traveled the Internet to find realistic tips and tools to help us lose that one pound in March, April, May and on through the rest of the year.

Which one of these suggestions will work for you? Post a comment to share with us or share more strategies. We’ll work on this together.

It’s not too late to join our challenge. Click One Healthy Change a Month to read more.

I have included an Amazon Link to The Glycemic-Load Diet and to The 7-Day Slim Down for your convenience. However My Itchy Travel Feet does receive a small percentage for purchases made at Amazon.com.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. Before making changes to your health routine or starting a weight loss program, consult your doctor to determine what is best for you.

sheryl March 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I like your philosophy about losing slowly, Donna. It’s wise and realistic. Thanks for this fabulous round-up of great advice (and thanks for including me, too!). Keep at it…before you turn around, those 10 pounds will be a distant memory :)
sheryl recently posted..What You’re Probably Not Getting Enough of in Your DietMy Profile

Jackie Smith
March 9, 2013 at 7:52 am

I thought of you yesterday as I was contorting myself at the local health club, adding a couple new stretches to what I am hoping is going to be a regular routine part of my workout. Hope you are continuing to be on the mend!
Jackie Smith recently posted..A Night in AmsterdamMy Profile

Melanie from Frugal Kiwi March 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm

If you start thinking of being overweight as being a symptom and concentrate on healing the underlying condition, it can really free you.
Melanie recently posted..Eating Yourself WellMy Profile

Suzanne (Just One Boomer)
March 10, 2013 at 10:02 pm

There is something to what Melanie said. Unfortunately, I jump started a post trip diet by contracting a stomach virus. That will do it — but it’s really not a pleasant way to go.

However, losing my appetite for a week also also helped me go back to the portion sizes I had learned were appropriate at Weight Watchers. I have the most difficult time with my weight when I’m traveling. If we eat at a restaurant when we’re home, I find I can stop when I’m full, knowing that I’m not being wasteful because I can take the rest home. Obviously, when preparing meals at home, I have control over the ingredients and cooking method. Donna, you are such an accomplished traveler. In another blog post could you please share any tips for maintaining one’s weight (i.e. not gaining weight) while traveling?
Suzanne (Just One Boomer) recently posted..WHAT THE !?!? Hawaii EditionMy Profile

Deborah March 13, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I’m in for the 10 lb challenge!

March 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I’m in. And my nurse practitioner told me that same thing about losing 10 pounds. My cholesterol is a little high, and it’s spring. Good time to get myself in motion.
Jane Boursaw recently posted..A&E’s Bates Motel Treats Psycho Backstory with Respect, Reverence and Just the Right Amount of CreepinessMy Profile

Deane Alban
April 8, 2013 at 5:57 pm

It’s quite a mystery at how hard it is to lose even a pound a month once you reach a “certain age” even when you do everything right. :(

I’m delighted to have found your website today. I noticed from your email that you live in Tucson – so do I! I love it here so much I have barely left since we moved here but hope to start traveling more again in the near future.
Deane Alban recently posted..Stress, Telomeres, and the Secret to Prevent AgingMy Profile

April 8, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Thanks for stopping by, @Deane. We loved our time in Tucson but recently moved to Montana because we love it even more.
Donna Hull recently posted..Saturday’s scene: trees, trees, treesMy Profile