Although most of us love to explore a city or destination with a set plan in mind, there’s always something incredibly enticing about forging your own path towards the unknown. After all, forgoing the well-traveled routes for off-the-beaten-path travel destinations is what exploration is all about, isn’t it?
Although some may prefer to make travel plans in the heat of the moment, having a little on-the-spot assistance along with way is always helpful. Apps can be a great way to avoid a disaster and can also help you get the most out of your travel experience, no matter where you venture. Take a look at these five apps that we’ve chosen for their ability to organize and even enhance your next off-the-beaten-path journey.
1. Dérive app is definitely one of the most unique that we’ve seen and it’s a great way to add a little mystery to seeing a city. The app consists of a set of “decks” that list fun urban tasks for the user to follow in order to explore their destination in “a random unplanned way”. For example, the app may prompt the user to head out in one direction with a mysterious hint about “turn left and find something sweet” or “look to your right for a sign of hope.” Available for download on most mobile devices for free.
2. EatWith app is more than just the next foodie trend. For those that love eating locally, EatWith is an international supper club directory. Users just enter in a destination and look for a participating home to dine in. So far, they have over 400 hosts in 20 different countries around the world. Available on iTunes for free.
3. WorkaWay app lets users find an incredible way to really emerge yourself into a community by volunteering. It is set up to promote a fair exchange between travelers, language learners, families and organizations that are looking for help with a range of various activities. Available on iTunes and Android for free.
4. iExit app is great for those itinerary-free road warriors. IExit works great for road trips because it tells you what’s coming up at the next exit, in real time. Available on iTunes and Android for free.
5. CoPilot app is for those that, like me, get lost going to the front door. CoPilot offers travelers on the go accurate, detailed global maps as well as real-time traffic reports. The map information is updated frequently, and better yet offers offline navigation, perfect for traveling off the beaten path when an internet connection may not be an option. Available on iTunes and Android. Prices depend on location, but range from $4.99 to $35.99.
Need an app for getting there? You’ll find it in our Travel Apps For Your Next Trip ebook!