During my younger years, I’ll admit to being a complete travel gorger. I entered every new city with a no-holds-barred mentality: see, do, and especially, eat everything the city’s culinary scene has to offer. Good times were had and I can’t say I regret my many years of gluttony.
Today, however, as my old travel wear gets more and more snug, I begrudgingly find myself taking on a whole new perspective on the road. No longer is my body receptive to carefree all-nighters nor massive meals nor multiple stops at those ubiquitous local pastry shops found in every city.
Nowadays I find that with a little self control and proactively watching what I eat, I feel better and that means I travel better. With an eye on my diet and a few strategic exercises each day, my energy levels now keep up with my desire to see and do everything on a trip.
Even making small changes to my travel lifestyle like the ones in our One Healthy Change a Month series makes a big difference to my travel experience. And thankfully, for those really looking to get serious about improving health while on the road, there are a ton of healthy travel apps to help maintain diet and exercise practices while traveling. No matter what your destination, these five apps for staying healthy on the road are essential for healthy travel.
1. Yoga Studio: Mind & Body may cost more than most of the yoga app options on the market, but it really is worth the cost. Not only is instruction provided suitable for all levels, but you can also customize your own sequence, in addition to using the app’s built-in classes. Available for purchase at the App Store and Google Play.
2. Nutrition Menu claims to have the largest freestanding nutritional information database on the market. The app provides the calorie, fat, carb and fiber counts for almost 80,000 food items. Plus, you can track your daily food intake to see the number of calories you’ve consumed. Available for purchase at the App Store.
3. Traillink will quickly become your go-to pick for finding a serious outdoor workout. Trailhead locates trails, hikes, bike routes, and more based on your current location. You can also search by activity and route length and complexity. Available for purchase at the App Store and Google Play..
4. Nike Training Club gives you access to a personal trainer with more than 85 custom built workouts. The app allows you to workout at your own personal level by using detailed instructions and audio commentary. It also tracks the details and history of all your workouts. Available for purchase at the App Store and Google Play.
5. Local Eats is one of the best apps for those in an unfamiliar location with seemingly surrounded by nothing but large chain restaurants. Local eats directs you to local establishments in your area and you can even make a reservation from the app. This app is especially useful for road trips, business meetings and late night dinners in unfamiliar locations. Available for purchase at the App Store and Google Play.
6. First Aid app is perfect for those who love to find new adventures, but are also a bit accident prone. Active adventure travel is great for everyone, but this app will definitely help out in case of emergencies. Available for purchase at the App Store and Google Play.
7. Stretching Sworkit app encourages you to stay fit and flexible while out searching the world for new adventures. Sworkit has a series of Pilates-based stretches for every level of fitness to keep travelers in good shape while on the road. Available for purchase at the App Store and Google Play.
Need an app for getting there? You’ll find it in our Travel Apps For Your Next Trip ebook!
Do you have favorite Healthy Travel Apps to add to our list? Join the conversation at the My Itchy Travel Feet page on Facebook or send us an email with your comments or questions.