The best Asia Cruise Excursions for boomer travelers
Extremely popular with cruisers, Asia cruise itineraries offer glimpses of exotic cultures, steamy landscapes and unique wildlife watching opportunities. Our first-hand reviews of Asia cruise excursions will help make the most of your trip.
Some of the links on this page are referral links. Read our Disclosure.
How to choose an Asia shore excursion
From cosmopolitan Hong Kong to off-the-beaten-path Kota Kinabalu, our articles will show you what to expect on your Asia shore excursion:
- How unique is the experience?
- What cultural differences should you be aware of?
- Is it a touristy destination?
- How bad will the pollution be?
- What are the highlights of the tour?
We mostly book excursions through the ship, although many cruisers we know use Get Your Guide or Viator, including finding private tours. And joining a medical evacuation program is a must when traveling internationally. If a medical emergency happens, you’ll be transported back to your home hospital.
Tips for making the most of your Asia cruise tour
Knowing what to expect is key to enjoying a shore excursion in Asia. After experience some great and not-so-great tours, use our tips to make good decisions.
- Avoid long cruise bus excursions, if you can. Sometimes, they can’t be helped, especially if you’d like to explore cities like Hanoi or Beijing. Reading our tips for surviving cruise bus excursions will help you make the most of the experience.
- In extremely hot climates like Bali, consider hiring a private guide. The air conditioning on a bus cannot keep up with Bali’s heat and humidity.
- Some Asia shore excursions are touristy but worth experiencing once.
- Air pollution can be a problem, especially in China. Wear a mask and take your allergy medication if air pollution affects your health.
- Respect cultural differences. Overpopulated cultures have a much different idea of how close is too close when it comes to personal space.
Visit this page often as we continue to publish our first-hand Asia cruise experiences and those of select guest writers. Subscribe to our weekly broadcast so you’ll be the first to know!
Did you know that we publish a weekly broadcast with the latest articles from My Itchy Travel Feet, timely trip inspiration and travel deals? Subscribe by clicking here.