For the next six months, I’ll be reporting my experiences using one of America’s largest no-contract wireless services as a TracFone brand ambassador (sponsored).
Whether you’re traveling or the family’s spread out across the country, technology enables you to stay in touch with the push of a button, especially if you’re using a wireless phone like the Alcatel Pop ICON smartphone from TracFone. Or do you already own a smartphone? TracFone’s innovative program, Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP), makes it easy to keep your phone, staying connected with the family at an affordable price.
With National Grandparent’s Day around the corner, this is a good time to review the best way to stay in touch with the grandkids, especially when you’re on the road.
- Skype is my go-to when it’s time for face-to-face contact with my favorite little (or big) people. For really young grandchildren, keep a picture book ready to read to them. It’s not the same as tucking them in at night with a bedtime story but almost. Or entertain your favorite toddlers with a cute stuffed animal. Be silly. They’ll love it!
- Social media is excellent for staying in touch if you’re careful about privacy safeguards. Set up a secret board on Pinterest or a private account on Instagram to share travel photos with grandchildren. And a family Facebook page allows everyone to participate in your trip, especially if you encourage the grandkids to ask questions.
- Emailing photos and videos is another option, although you may find teens reluctant to participate. That’s where texting comes in handy.
- For little ones who enjoy receiving “real” mail, the Postagram app allows you to turn photos into postcards for mailing. The app is free but you’ll pay $.99 to mail the card in the U.S. and $1.99 if you’re mailing from an international location.
- And no matter which method you use to stay in touch, remember that free Wifi will save on data charges, especially when sharing photos and videos.
Celebrate National Grandparents Day with #LoveIsGrand Sweepstakes
In honor of National Grandparents Day (September 13, 2015), TracFone is offering shareable Grandparents Day ecards at their Facebook page from August 31 to September 13. But it gets even better. There will be a question with each ecard post. By answering the question in the comments section, you’ll be entered in the #LoveIsGrand Sweepstakes. Four randomly selected winners will receive a #LoveIsGrand Grandparents Day prize pack. The prize pack consists of one Alcatel Pop ICON phone, one 90-day airtime card and one $100 VISA gift card.
And one randomly selected Grand Prize winner will receive a #LoveIsGrand Grandparents Day grand prize pack of one Alcatel Pop ICON phone, one 90-day airtime card and one $1,000 Visa gift card to be spent towards quality family time with the family’s grandparents.
Don’t miss the #LoveIsGrand Twitter Party
Are you on Twitter? Celebrate grandparents at the #LoveIsGrand Twitter party on September 9 at 8:00pm EST. Share your best grandparent/grandkid memories—the funnier the better—for a chance to be one of five randomly selected winners who will receive a prize pack, too. Follow TracFone on Twitter to join the party.
The fine print
TracFone helps capture special moments with nationwide service and 90-day no contract plans that start as low as $19.99 (averaging less than $7 per month), giving grandparents, families and friends an affordable way to stay in touch through photos, videos, text, email, social media and of course, a phone call.
Plans and Phones sold separately. Average cost of $7/month* (*A month equals 30 days). Check coverage availability and Terms and Conditions of Service at TracFone.com. Other limitations apply.
Disclosure: I am a paid brand ambassador for TracFone.